• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't scale proportionally anymore with shift command in InDesign on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated to 2020, I can't seem to use shift+command to scale my images or text proportionally - it just changes the size of the object's box - not the content within the box. When I click on the content itself, I can scale it but it is disproportionate. This is one of my go-to shortcuts! Help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

When modifier keys like Shift and Option/Alt are not working, a likely cause is a conflicting third party application/plug-in/extension. Try restarting your computer and launch InDesign before any other application (including your normal startup applications). If you find that your keyboard shortcuts are now working, then it's a third party application causing the problem. Likely candidates: Extensions and plug-ins for browsers, anti-virus applications and so on. Open your other applications one

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. The exact version of InDesign and the macOS.
  2. Is this happening with a specific document or with all the documents?
  3. If it is happening with every file, you can try resetting the preferences for InDesign by following the steps below:
  • Close all Adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When modifier keys like Shift and Option/Alt are not working, a likely cause is a conflicting third party application/plug-in/extension. Try restarting your computer and launch InDesign before any other application (including your normal startup applications). If you find that your keyboard shortcuts are now working, then it's a third party application causing the problem. Likely candidates: Extensions and plug-ins for browsers, anti-virus applications and so on. Open your other applications one-by-one to see which is the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Steve! This was the culprit! The app that was causing the problem was Amazon Music. Adding that tidbit in here in case anyone else runs into this issue! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 and this solved my issue! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm new to Indesign, but I'm having the same issue with the shift key not constraining proportions when trying to scale objects.  Tried a reset and and launched Indesign with nothing else running. Same deal.  Any other ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Mac, try shift + command before you scale, not just shift. I'm not sure what the hotkeys are for a PC, though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac with CC with Indesign 15.0.1 and I've tried all kinds of combinations to constrain while scaling. Nothing works.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had issues with Indesign 16.4 on new M1 iMac – seems Spotify was causing the conflict! Bonkers. Sort it out computer people (please). Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi captainuncertain

Welcome to this friendly forum – please note, this is a user-to-user support forum.

Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case - Webroot was the culprit. Closed it and Eureka. Fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, Webroot was my issue. I didn't even need to close it, just clicked "Pause secure keyboard entry," and voila. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Webroot was my issue as well! @Kaitlyn5EAD where did you find the "Pause secure keyboard entry" button? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys so much! Webroot was my problem too! I was going insane trying to figure out how to fix this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this was also my issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Webroot was my issue as well! Fixed it by clicking the "Pause secure keyboard entry" button like you guys mentioned. Thank you guys so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! A simple restart fixed this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, you saved my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, Amazon Music was the culprit and ID is working fine now but does this mean I can't use AM while working in ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MS Word (Mac) was the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the same shortcuts constantly and whilst there are a few I have left as default, things like paste in place / centre content / scale proportionally are shortcuts I use hundreds of times a day, so any of the default settings that tie my fingers in knots got changed years ago. I save these preferences so I can now just hit one key or 2 max, conveniently placed. I dread to think how many hours, weeks and days have been saved by using shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

inDesign 2022, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) with bluetooth keyboard (no batteries! still weirds me out)

I was experiencing the same issue but as the answers from 2019 were no longer relevant, I've discovered it may be a slow keyboard problem. Select what you want to scale, press down Command, then Option, then Shift (holding them all down) and only THEN click the object corner you want to scale from, and drag. So basically: slow down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:O)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems from time to time, that key shortcuts, for example drag view (space bar), scale image box proportionally (shift+cmd+alt), stops working.

My remedy is to reboot my mac, and it usually starts woring again.

It's a problem that has been around for years, updates has not helped.

Usually it stops working in both InDesign and Photoshop at the same time.

And it only affects Adobe applications. I have never experienced this bug in any non Adobe applications.

My gut feeling tells me it's something that can be fixed, without blaming third party applications or plugins....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines