Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can we insert current date in InDesign

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am working on a document where I wish to insert the current date. I was exploring text variables. But I can't spot any option for inserting the current date.

c.png

Any guidance on how to carry this out would be appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Hi,

Try Create and edit text variables in InDesign  again.

Type>Text Variables>Modification or Output Date

You can modify the variable by editing it

Modification Date inserts the date or time the document was last saved to disk; Output Date inserts the date or time the document starts a print job, exports to PDF, or packages the document. You can insert text before and after the date, and you can modify the date format for all date variables.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try Create and edit text variables in InDesign  again.

Type>Text Variables>Modification or Output Date

You can modify the variable by editing it

Modification Date inserts the date or time the document was last saved to disk; Output Date inserts the date or time the document starts a print job, exports to PDF, or packages the document. You can insert text before and after the date, and you can modify the date format for all date variables.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah... got it... .thanks a lot, Aman. really appreciate your guidance here.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it appears the original poster was satisfied with this answer, it didn't actually answer their question.

I, too, would like to know how to insert the current date. That is, a date which is variable according to when it was originally inserted, but which then stops being dynamic. It's not always possible or useful to tie such a thing to the filesystem. You may be simply updating an existing file, in which case 'date created' is not what you want, and also you don't want the date constantly updating every subsequent time you update it, so 'date modified' is also unsuitable.

This is still currently not possible with InDesign 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wish that we can get an answer for that! It will be a valuble addon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was helpful. I created a new modification variable with a new name to use in letters (with no doc open). The new name appears in the edit menu, but not in the insert variable list when I go to use it in a new document. Is there a way to make it "stick"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to previous post: It disappeared from the edit menu now. I'd like to make it something that's available all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines