• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you help me with FontExplorer font activation problems? LOCKED

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know how to solve a font activation problem I am having with FontExplorer 4.2? I am on a new mac with new fonts, I am using Maverick with Adobe CS6. With my new mac I bought the latest version of FontExporer Pro X 4.2. This program is having trouble with font activation in all my Adoble suite apps including Indesign. Here is what I am seeing:

1. The font activates, but the Adobe app does not recognize that it is active. If I go back to Font Explorer and deactivate manually, then re-activate manually. The adobe app might then recognize it. Sometimes it still doesn't. But this does not stay permanently, as soon as I do a restart I have to go through this process again. I see this more often with the User system fonts, but a few times with my regular fonts.

2. Other times, such as in Indesign, I go to open the file and the file stalls and doesn’t progress while it is trying to activate the fonts.

3. Another time I have seen after an illustrator file is opened the fonts aren't recognized as being opened and the text goes blank on the page.

4. In all adobe apps, if I go to use "replace font" on the missing fonts (even though they are turned on) the "replace font" menu only shows the basic system fonts, it won't show me the other fonts turned on.

I have seen these issues with both formerly created files and fresh new files.

I have tried the following based on feedback from Font Explorer staff:

Refresh your Spotlight database

1. Quit all applications other than FontExplorer X

2. Choose Tools > Refresh Spotlight Database

Clean your font caches

1. Quit all applications other than FontExplorer X 2. Choose Tools > Clean Application Font Caches (check all available checkboxes)

3. Choose Tools > Clean System Font Caches (requires restart)

Still after trying this multiple times, the errors continue and even get more random.

I have also tried this based on their feedback:

go to FONTEXPLORER X PRO -> PREFERENCES -> ADVANCED and make sure that "Automatically deactivate fonts which have not been activated by the system" is NOT set to never.

Then click on TOOLS and clean all font caches. Then reboot the system.

The auto-activation is using a new Apple technology (called Core Text), which unfortunately does not work correctly with some of the Adobe and Quark applications when keeping the fonts permanently activated. We are currently working on an update, and the next version of FontExplorer X Pro will fix this issue.

This has also not work. Can anyone help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

I'm going to lock this old discussion. Almost all references to old versions of third party products which should be directed to the developers of such products. If you're having InDesign problems, please start a new thread. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe it or not, but I use Font Explorer 3.1 on El Capitan (10.11.3) and it work like a dream. I have tried to upgrade to Suitcase fusion 6 and it was a disaster for me. I had to reset the font cache almost every day since front will not show in apps. I then, reinstall my old faithful FE 3.1 and will not update until it stop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with FontExplorer 5.5. and my professor solved it. Try this:

1. Go to Finder, in search bar type "AdobeFnt". When your system is finished, delete all of found files.

2. Clean your system cache. I do this with a simple program called "MainMenu 3.4.1". When it finished the program will ask you to restart. Don't restart yet.

3. Clean your users caches. Again with "MainMenu" and again don't let to restart.

4. Clean your font caches with MainMenu and then restart.

5. After restart you must deactivate all activated font in FontExplorer and then activate them again. This should work. This solution works fine for me with Adobe CS5 and CS6 (OS X El Capitan 10.11.5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dsedlarski wrote:

I had the same problem with FontExplorer 5.5. and my professor solved it. Try this:

1. Go to Finder, in search bar type "AdobeFnt". When your system is finished, delete all of found files.

You should delete only those found files the end in two digits and the .lst extension or you will seriously damage your configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That is true! Just there was no other like .lst in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2016 Jun 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me like a charm!  still using FontEx 1.2.3. Recently, three weeks after upgrading to El Capitan, the font activation feature in FontEx stopped functioning. I would click to activate, the activation dialog would flicker and disappear and the font would remain deactivated. Came here for an answer and dsedlarski's solution worked for me. Clean the Caches. Instead of MainMenu I used OnyX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this won't help, but I have a similar problem. Illustrator CS6 doesn't recognise my Avant Garde otf font, so I put them into my Font folder in the Library. Disaster. My screen kept blacking out. I'm going to try a PostScript 1 font, since I can't do much about Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having exactly the same issue on Font Explorer 6. (macOS Sierra, Adobe CC) This product is a joke.

Can't switch because it's the software chosen by the company to be used for everyone. Guess it was cheap to get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm going to lock this old discussion. Almost all references to old versions of third party products which should be directed to the developers of such products. If you're having InDesign problems, please start a new thread. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines