• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2018 placing word doc problem

Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 3 page word .docx I need to place inside an .indd file. From past experience I hit the shift key and everything would import correctly but in this case when I import everything appears on the first page ONLY of the indd leaving the 2 pages blank.

Am I doing something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you choose File > Place, a Shift+click initiates auto-flow, which will flow the entire story continuously from where you click until it runs out of text, including adding new pages at the end if you didn't have enough. That didn't change in 2018, so something else is going on. Can you tell us how the file is set up? Are you using a primary frame on the master page? Or no frames, which lets InDesign draw the frames? We'll need more information to be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried place shift without drawing a frame on a blank .indd and also tried after drawing a frame, both times everything gets pasted on to one page cluttered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word doc has images and text styled I see now the images are not converting either I tried closing and re opening ID closing and reopening word let me try a similar word file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to Place, hold shift and click Open (or check the place options) and go through your Word Placement Options dialog box. Your formatting is not set up properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what I missed I get the images that convert but again Its a 3 page word document that has anchored imaged and nested text, I still can only get it to convert into ONE PAGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check your Options as per Kevin's reply^^?

What about opening the file in Word and saving it back to a .doc file, and trying again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that, is there a way I can send you the word doc and see what happens if you try? Its only 3 pages. R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I tried another text only document and it worked fine so the problem is this specific .docx. I did notice there was a conflict in the dialogue box so it must be that , the style name conflict says 1 paragraph 0 character. How do I see what that is?

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The style conflict isn't the issue. Did you try opening the file in Word, and saving back to the .doc format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to do right now. R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing, can I send the word doc and post here? This supposed easy job is driving me nuts. R

How to I attach?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm betting the there's an image in the Word doc that won't fit on the InDesign page. Do you have the overset text indicator (a red plus sign in the lower right corner of the frame on the first page) after you shift + click to place? This can get tricky. I'd try deleting the images from the Word doc as a test and then repeating the process. If it works, the images are the culprit. To fix, you may need to open up the frame on the first page much wider and higher and then scale down the image and continue from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me remove the large image and try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, removed large image its the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I at least post screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wordshot1.pngInddSS.png

FIRST IMAGE IS A SCREEN SHOT OF THE WORD DOC

SECOND IS THE SCREENSHOT OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AFTER PLACING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to me like they used a ton of text boxes in Word. This content doesn't flow well at all. I think you're going to have to do some manual work on this project as it was built in Word in a fairly non-conventional way. I'm happy to take a look at the Word doc for you. Message me directly and we can exchange info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just msged you did you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you have to do is reformat or map the styles importing from Word. Once you reformat or map to an existing style, the text frame contents will show properly.

I would then go back to Word and extract the images out of the document and place them properly in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sending the file over matthewdee. It's as I suspected… The Word document is build entirely using text boxes, so those Word text boxes get convert to inline text frames within the main text frame story in InDesign. It's just messy. I would flow it in as you have, then using your Selection tool, cut each text frame and then paste it back into InDesign so it's not inline. Then you can move them and modify them as desired. Having them inline will be a nightmare. I hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a related problem. I've upgraded to InDesign 2018, and Autoflow no longer works. Or at least not in the document that I'm trying to re-format. It'sworked in other documents, so I don't know why not this one.

It's an InDesign file. I've got the text already placed in it, but the client wanted the font and layout fairly extensively changed. It's something like a 600 page document. I've changed the layout, and rather than have to mess with every single text box in the document, I deleted them, back to the opening page, and am trying to re-flow it by the usual shift-click method.

It doesn't work. I don't get the icon for Autoflow, and only single pages get placed when using shift-click.

The Option key's manual autoflow works and I'm limping along on that, spread by spread, but I want to know why the main Autoflow has stopped working, and how to get it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's not working in one document, there could be some corruption. You may be able to fix that by saving as IDML and reopening:

Clean corrupt files by exporting to .IDML or .INX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Autoflow still works as expected in CC 2018 so I think Steve's suggestion would be my first recommendation. It seems to be document related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines