• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC Library items showing as local, not cloud based

Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use linked graphics from my CC libraries, they show up as having a local file path, and not actually being in the cloud. So when my team members go to use this assets, all they get is agray box with a missing link. Did something change recently? It was my understanding that in the past, items in CC libraries were actually stored in the cloud. That seems to me to be the entire point of using CC libraries.

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you perhaps accidentally turn syncing off in your CC app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Syncing is turned on. This happens for my clients as well.

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 2.24.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your folder location to the Creative Cloud libraries

Perhaps

https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services-discussions/set-local-directory-of-cc-librari...

EugeneTyson_0-1634150652692.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do that? That thread contains dozens of comments from frutrated users, and the "correct answer" from Adobe is 

"creative cloud libraries are stored on your local file system in the standard location for application data. We do not provide a way for users to choose a different location."

So do CC library assets really not live in the cloud? Because I've seen videos that DO show them living in the cloud.

When you place a CC library item ( alinked graphic), does it show a local file path or a cloud path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's not the problem, you might try rebooting you computer. Then in the CC desktop app, try logging out and log in again to properly hook up CC Libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see the screenshot I posted? There's an edit button beside the location. And you set this to your creative cloud folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it show a local file path or a cloud path?

Hi @Document Geek I think the link path depends on how the asset was added to the Library—not all Library image assets would have a cloud file path.

Here I’ve placed 2 items from my Library on to a page—one image has a cloud path and the other path is to my desktop. The top item has a cloud link icon in its upper left corner, and the Library asset is listed as PSD. I added this item to my Library directly from Photoshop:

Screen Shot 19.png

I added the bottom item to my Library directly from InDesign—it was an image on my Desktop placed inside of a graphic frame. It’s listed in my Library as an IDMS asset, and its icon is the regular link icon:

Screen Shot 20.png

Also, in order to use a cloud asset InDesign has to download it to a hidden temp folder. If I choose Edit Original for the top item it has a local file path to a hidden folder— ⁨private⁩ ▸ ⁨var⁩ ▸ ⁨folders⁩ ▸ ⁨w2⁩ ▸ ⁨s1lk7d6d3m95v4pq7m4flscw0000gn⁩ ▸ ⁨T⁩ 

Screen Shot 21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Document Geek 

Are you sure you didn't accidentally choose Place Copy instead of Place Linked when you imported the CC Libraries graphic. The difference is shown if you right-click on the graphic in CC Libraries. Choosing Place Copy would embed the graphic locally on your computer.

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 2.54.47 PM.png

Here's what I get (as I always have) in InDesign CC 2021. There have been no change in the way this is handled. You can see that when I choose Place Linked, there is a link to the CC Libraries, and you can see the cloud icon on the corner of the image and in the Links panel.

CCLibrary_Link.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place Linked is not an option for me. Only Place Copy is. 

Is there something special that I need to do when dragging an item into the CC Libraries panel in order to get that graphic hosted in the cloud? Right now, all the graphics default to a direct file path on my local machine.

I'll try rebooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't figure it out, there's another forum which specialized in Creative Cloud Services. It includes CC Libraries:

Creative Cloud Services

There's a Libraries topic within that forum:

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 4.27.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the default behavior of CC libraries change recently? I had an Adobe help chat reently and he told me to place my graphics into my CC library from Illustrator, not InDesign.

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 12.41.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-15 at 12.44.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific what kind of "graphic" you're talking about? As far as I know everythng works as before: If you drag an InDesign graphic into Creative Cloud, it will not include placed images in the graphic (you would need to embed them). When the graphic is then placed back into InDesign, it's like a "snippet" (it has access to all the data in the graphic). If you placed the InDesign graphic into Illustrator or Photoshop, it's treated as a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add more information, if it's an InDesign graphic you're talking about, it cannot be CC library linked between InDesign files. If you choose it in another InDesign file, the only option is Place Copy. That's because InDesign sees it as a snippet.

If you were to place the InDesign graphic into Illustrator, you can place it as as either Place Linked or Place Copy (because it's looking at the PDF part of the file, not understanding the Snippet portion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you originally posed the question, you didn't tell us whether you were placing a graphic coming from Illustrator or Photoshop into InDesign, or whether you were placing an InDesign graphic into InDesign.

I first answered your question as if it were an Illustrator graphic.

Now, I'm realizing you were trying to link an InDesign graphic into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all that helpful info. I placed a graphic InDesign, that dragged that graphic into the CC Libraries panel. I tired this using both placed AI files as well as placed JPG files. Both had the same result.

The numerous tutorial videos that I watched showed placed graphics (that had been cropped in InDesign), dragged into the CC Libraires panel from InDesign. When they were placed into a new ID document, they showed up with the cloud icon.

It must have been aftter those tutorials were made that Adobe introduced the ability to palce snippets. I remember one of the videos specifically mentioning that InDesign couldn't support snippets. But now it appears otherwise.

So what is the correct way to import snippets into CC libaries? Because it's not so simple as just drag and drop. 

Must all raster files be imported into the library from Photoshop and all vector files be imported into the library from Illustrator?

This page: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/libraries.html has absolutely nothing on it about how to import CC library items into the panel, and in which program it should be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I researched this a lot when I wrote my article for InDesign Magazine March 2016. InDesign has always been able to save ID graphics as snippets but it looks like it now does it "smarter" than before.

Here's what I found this evening about the way it's working now:

If you place a Photoshop image and scale it and add a text wrap around it, InDesign saves that as part of the "snippet". You can't drag and drop to the CC Libraries panel. You want to click the + icon at the bottom the the panel and select Graphic. It will appear listed as "Artwork 1 / IDMS". When placing it into another InDesign file, you can either drag and drop or right-click and choose Place Copy. It will include the scaling and text wrap. It is linked to the local path. (It's the upper image in the illustration below and you can read the tooltip on CC Libraries.)

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 6.41.46 PM.png

If you open the image in Photoshop as a PSD file, and save it as a graphic in CC Libraries, it is labelled as PSD. When you place it in an InDesign file, it will not have any attributes like scaling or text wrap. When placing, you have the option of Place Linked (which creates a cloud link) or Place Copy (which creates a local link). (The lower images is the PSD file placed with Place Linked so it shows a "cloud" icon and the tooltip identifies it as a PSD file.

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 6.42.01 PM.png

So you can place raster or vector files either way (from AI or PSD, or as snippets from an INDD file).

I don't think the old Help information or videos are now current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, was Place Linked added in 2021? I’m not seeing it in CC2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I see it’s available when right-clicking a PSD asset, but not with an IDMS asset, which is what I thought you meant. When I choose Place Copy on a PSD, the image gets Embedded with a cloud file path, Place Linked gives me a linked image with the same cloud file path.

I just checked CC2018, and it seems to work the same way—the only difference is the assets were labeled PS and ID

Also not sure if this helps, but when I get the cloud file path via scripting, the returned path is not what the Path in the Links panel shows, but it’s not a cloud URL either—InDesign still needs a local link or an embedded image for output—if I disconnect from the internet the cloud link status is listed as OK.

//select an image
alert(app.documents[0].selection[0].itemLink.filePath)

Maybe someone can confirm this, but the path via scripting looks like a cloud API instruction for downloading the asset—on OSX Edit Original shows the image in a hidden temp folder.

Screen Shot 23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must all raster files be imported into the library from Photoshop and all vector files be imported into the library from Illustrator?

In case you missed my post above from yesterday it’s showing the same as Steve’s post—added images from InDesign are labeled IDMS and keep their local file path, images of all formats added from Photoshop are labeled PSD and have a cloud path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I wrote the Creative Cloud article in InDesign Magazine in March 2016, I wrote: "You can select any InDesign object (a text frame, graphic frame, group of objects, and so on) and drag it into a CC library. The CC Libraries panel displays InDesign objects with an “Id” icon in list view, or with a tool tip saying “Created in Adobe InDesign” in icon view. You can also select an object and click the Add Graphic icon at the bottom of the panel.

"Note that if the InDesign object includes a link to an external graphic, the graphic is not added. You must embed the graphic before adding the InDesign object."

At that point in time, you could drag & drop to the CC Libraries panel (you can't now). Now you click the + sign and choose Graphic. In 2016, the InDesign snippet that was created wasn't stored locally (apparently). Thus, I added that if you had a link to an external graphic, it wouldn't be included. You would have to embed the linked graphic.

The new method means that the linked graphic is always included, which I why I commented above that it's an improved workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new method means that the linked graphic is always included, which I why I commented above that it's an improved workflow.

You mean it’s always included if the placed Library asset is a PSD or AI right?

In the case of an IDMS asset I can get the broken link that @Document Geek is describing by trashing the linked image after the ID graphic is added to the Library and then dragging the IDMS on to a page:

Screen Shot 25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An IDMS library graphic can have a cloud link, but I think it has to be built from PSD or AI cloud assets.

If I drag a (cloud) PSD from the Library on to the page, crop and scale, then add the edited graphic back to the Library, the image in the new IDMS has a cloud path when it is dragged back onto a page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point about starting with a PSD or AI cloud asset being different!

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a little more testing today, including adding another computer on my network with access to the same CC Library files.

Conclusions I'm reaching:

(1) If you're creating an IDMS file by selecting InDesign-only objects and choosing the + icon to create a Graphic in a CC Library, you're safe to use that InDesign graphic in any other file on your local computer, or any other computer that has access to that library. It's the same as placing a locally stored IDMS file.

(2) If you're creating an IDMS file by selecting InDesign objects AND Photoshop or Illustrator objects, you'll have the least problems if you created the Photoshop or Illustrator objects as cloud-stored Library objects. Then they'll always be available and included if the CC Library is accessible from your device. The graphics will show the "cloud" icon, indicating they're cloud-stored.

(3) If you create an IDMS file that includes locally-stored Photoshop or Illustrator objects, they'll have to be kept available on your local computer (and, if necessary, relinked) for them to be included in new files. And if they're used on any other device, the Photoshop or Illustrator objects need to be manually copied or made  available from a shared server (and, if necessary, relinked).

Rob, do you think I have that right, or am I missing anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines