• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing text from LTR to RTL

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making an invitation which has both English and Hebrew writing, but when I paste the Hebrew copy over to InDesign it pastes in backward and i can't figure out how to change the direction of the text to RTL, I have looked online but I think my version of InDesign must be different.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

In order to install the Middle East edition of InDesign, you'd need to have your language in the Creative Cloud app preferences set to either Arabic or Hebrew.  Here's a thread that documents how to get it installed, or (in your case, since you've already installed a non-ME edition of InDesign) how to get it re-installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to install the Middle East edition of InDesign, you'd need to have your language in the Creative Cloud app preferences set to either Arabic or Hebrew.  Here's a thread that documents how to get it installed, or (in your case, since you've already installed a non-ME edition of InDesign) how to get it re-installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To work with Hebrew you have to have a RTL version of InDesign:

1. Go to the CC Desktop application
  2. Go to the preferences.
  3. Go to the application panel inside the preferences (not the other one).
  4. Scroll down to Installation running
  5. In the entry of the Standard Installation Language Change to English Hebrew.
  6. Install all Applications again what you need, not only InDesign. You do not need to uninstall anything. It will only install additional plugins which are needed to work with RTL and Hebrew. If you need to work with Arabic do all steps again. It will also install fonts for those languages.
  7. At the end you can do step 1 to 4 again to reset to your prefered user interface language. Then you will have your UI with additional commands for Hebrew.

The same would work also for Asian (Chineese, Japanese and Korean languages) or for Indic languages as there exists another group of languages. But do not install more than one additional language group to the standard western version on one computer as you will see problems.

Be also aware, for paragraphs with RTL elements via Paragraph or Character Styles you need to choose a World Composer in the Paragraph Style. For text with only LTR text, use Adobe Paragraph Composer as it works much better for LTR thant the other does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been able to do this without installing the ME versions. Create a text box, set the language preference to Hebrew and paste in the text. It should read right to left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines