Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Changing type 1 fonts to Opentype

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have activated fonts on CC for the ones in my documents that are Type 1.  How do I change the Type 1's, it does not seem to be done autmatically since a listing from the PDF shows that that they are still Type 1.

TOPICS
How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021
There are specific programs which can do that, but often it is not covered by the license agreement and often it might change the font. But OTF can contain up to 65.000 glyphs, T1 only 255, so it is worthy to license new OTF.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021
If you mean you now have both T1 and OTF versions of the font and want to use the OTF version, go to Type > Find Font and change them there. Acrobat will continu to show postscript flavored OTF fonts as Type 1 in the font properties, butif the font name is correct (presumably Std or Pro), the the correct font is being used.

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021
Fonts are often converted to type 1 when a PDF is made. This is normal and will still work. You CANNOT use a PDF to find whether your installed fonts are type 1...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are specific programs which can do that, but often it is not covered by the license agreement and often it might change the font.

But OTF can contain up to 65.000 glyphs, T1 only 255, so it is worthy to license new OTF.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean you now have both T1 and OTF versions of the font and want to use the OTF version, go to Type > Find Font and change them there.

Acrobat will continu to show postscript flavored OTF fonts as Type 1 in the font properties, butif the font name is correct (presumably Std or Pro), the the correct font is being used.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I meant that. But it seems that when I activated CC fonts, the Type 1 ones disappeared from the Find Font dialog.   I assume this means that the occurences of Type 1's were replaced automatically?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fonts are never replaced automatically in InDesign (unlike some other apps which will make substitutions without even telling you).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts are often converted to type 1 when a PDF is made. This is normal and will still work. You CANNOT use a PDF to find whether your installed fonts are type 1...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much, I didn't know that.  One wonders: if Type 1 is so old and rusty, why does PDF still conert to them (secretly 🙂  )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF is now an international standard, not just an Adobe proprietary format, so there are lots of legacy requirements, and the OTF format is really, as I understand things, a wrapper for either underlying True-Type or Type1 format fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines