• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Circled Numbered List

Enthusiast ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on an Urdu/Arabic document which has couple of numbered lists.
The font which I am using is Jameel Noori Nastaleeq.

The number in the list are in Urdu script, however, I want teh numbers to be circled. Circled Numbered Lists to be precie.

The good part is that the font contains glyphs from 1 till 287 all of them circled and each of them have a unicode value.

The bad part is that there is no way you can type those values except using its unicode values.

The problem I am facing is that how do I change the existing numbers in the numbered list to the circled numbered list. Grep i dont think will work. Script may work but I have not clue of scripts.

Any suggestion/help would be appreciated.

I have attached two sample files.

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

In the lack of fitting circles I have done the following workaround with normal fonts for my numbers in circles:

1. I create a circle in the size I want it and anchor it to the beginning of a paragraph.
  2. Inside the circle I create a new paragraph style with a new list with autonumbers.
  3. The specific of the paragraph style is that the number has a character style defining its appearance (font, size, color, etc.).
  4. The paragraph style itself is invisible, the font has no color, its size is 1pt, scaling

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

If the characters are in fact part of the font, you can insert them by using the Glyphs panel in InDesign. Just choose Window > Type and Tables > Glyphs. Then double click on the character to insert it into the text frame. A better approach however would be to apply a bulleted list to the text and then define the appropriate character as the bullet character.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the lack of fitting circles I have done the following workaround with normal fonts for my numbers in circles:

1. I create a circle in the size I want it and anchor it to the beginning of a paragraph.
  2. Inside the circle I create a new paragraph style with a new list with autonumbers.
  3. The specific of the paragraph style is that the number has a character style defining its appearance (font, size, color, etc.).
  4. The paragraph style itself is invisible, the font has no color, its size is 1pt, scaling to 1% verrtically and horizontally.
  5. This circle is saved as Object Style, within it is defined the paragraph style, stroke, color, position of the anchored object and size.
  6. In the subsequent lines I copy and paste this circle as anchored frame and it will upnumber automatically. I can make corrections in the style and everywhere where they are used they will update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Willi

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I am using a similar method as described by you as a workaround. I was looking for something simpler as the font which I am using has bulleted numbers each with individual unicode value. I will try your method as well as it seems to be a good option.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Willi Adelberger I have used this method today on another document. Its wonderful.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the characters are in fact part of the font, you can insert them by using the Glyphs panel in InDesign. Just choose Window > Type and Tables > Glyphs. Then double click on the character to insert it into the text frame. A better approach however would be to apply a bulleted list to the text and then define the appropriate character as the bullet character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad

Thanks for the reply. I can do that, however, I wanted something automatic. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will apply the circles with the click of a button if you create a style. Not sure how much more automatic you want it to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines