• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clear paragraph styles

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to clear paragraph styles in a paragraph that has a style applied to it, to start with a clean slate so to speak. When I try to change a particular style in a section of text with a different style it won't do it perhaps because theres bits of other styles applied to it. There seems no way of getting rid of this or previous styles.

There must be a 'clear formatting' button or something but I can't find it.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

It's really a bit unclear what the goal is here.

As with all the other replies - there's a multitude of ways to disect what you're looking for

I'll start at the beginning

When you first create a text frame - it automatically  has a paragraph style called

Basic Paragraph Style should only used as a starting point - always create your own paragraph style

Here I've called mine Body

EugeneTyson_4-1627366610910.png

If you apply Bold or Italic or another override to the style you get a plus sign beside the name

EugeneTyson_0-1627366721091.png

If you use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be looking for this

EugeneTyson_0-1627292329871.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies to my query. 

SJRiegel suggestion was where I would have thought the answer lays, but this didn't clear the styles. I'm sure it should do.

Clear overides was not really the answer, a freature I find quite baffling anyway.

This suggestion gets me the closest to resolving the issue. It's not really the answer but did get me to look again at the 'reset to base'. I thought it cleared the attributes in a paragraph style but it doesn't. It got me going through all the atributes and I found a few things hiding in there I didn't want so applying my new style does work now.

Going back to my original post there should be a simply way to clear all styles in a paragraph.

Thanks all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really a bit unclear what the goal is here.

As with all the other replies - there's a multitude of ways to disect what you're looking for

I'll start at the beginning

When you first create a text frame - it automatically  has a paragraph style called

Basic Paragraph Style should only used as a starting point - always create your own paragraph style

Here I've called mine Body

EugeneTyson_4-1627366610910.png

If you apply Bold or Italic or another override to the style you get a plus sign beside the name

EugeneTyson_0-1627366721091.png

If you use a Character Style and apply it to the text within a paragraph (highly recommended)

The plus sign disappears

EugeneTyson_1-1627366827231.png

Regardless of whether the text style is Overridden (as shown by a plus sign) or if there is a  Character Style applied

Hold Down 

ALT and SHIFT

Then Click the Body style and the formatting disappears from the paragraph.

EugeneTyson_2-1627366926422.png

This brings it back to the original Text Style without formatting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you apply your new style (or reapply existing), you have several options to clear overrides. Is this not what you require?

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 10.17.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like there may be Character Styles applied to parts of your text. To get rid of them, select all of the text, go the the Character Styles panel and chose None. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is always some kind of underlaying style in any style. You can create a new style with none as basic, that is what I recommend for the frst style in a new document, then no influence of another style occures. Even if no style is used, some underlaying definition works as style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new paragraph styles diaglog box what is the differrence between 'based on – 'Basic paragraph'' or 'based on – 'No paragraph''?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the basic paragraph or merge with a document with different basic paragraph settings, a paragraph based on basic paragraph will change. Based on No Paragraph will be untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As per @Willi Adelberger  advice - there is also an excellent article here

https://creativepro.com/beware-basic-styles/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines