• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Column break inside table is impossible to remove

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I insert column break inside the table and later if I do not wantit, it is impossible to find and delete.
I have to insert new rows and copy the rows back in there.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable Type > Show Hidden Characters. A column break looks like a tiny v. Highlight and delete it. 

Alternatives include clicking in the cell with the column break and choosing Edit > Edit in Story Editor and erasing the words Column Break. Or using Find/Change to search for a column break and replace with nothing.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had hidden characters enabled and I even tried to use search for column break, but nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Thorondor:

So perhaps it isn't actually a column break character. We will need more information from you (or the chance to take a look at the file if you can't put it into words) to help. 

~Barb

2022-12-06_11-50-17 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INDD file is here. I cleaned it up from project information, so it will look ugly, but it is enough for an example.
This Table 1 is all same table, and problem is that I do not want it to jump to page 3. I used to break it up with column break  (I could have used page break I guess) and now ther is no character to delete that puts table together again.
https://we.tl/t-bO2LRc13uT

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I has something to do with the first row on the page 3. Deleting it puts table together again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set Table Style to [Basic Table] and you can edit your table again.

RvdT_0-1670406099195.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did nothing but change some styles inside cells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try again with:

Style: Basic Table, delete row with text : "sadfdsfdasfasdf", change height of first text frame :

RvdT_0-1670410315583.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to cut the first row on the following page and then recreate it. Looks like bug to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this tipp! I have the same problem, after I had inserted a paragraph break ("Absatzumbruch") by hitting "enter".  However, as the content of the table has changed, I had to remove this break again – and found your tipp 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And make sure you are not in Preview mode when trying to see hidden characters. The Preview mode would override the view of hidden characters.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see. You want the table to start on page a1, skip a2 and jump to a3?

I would remove whatever breaks you added manually, and tell the first row at the top of page a2 to start on the Next Odd Page.

2022-12-07_06-38-00 (1).gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: After adding column break at the end of the cell and if you want to remove it later. There is no column break character visible like usually with text. Instead next cell gets Cell Option for starting in the next column, like Barb showed us.
Screenshot 2022-12-14 125818.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines