• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confused on acceptable Fonts to use in InDesign 2022

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please excuse our naivety but we are getting a little bit confused and it's not easy trying to locate the correct answers, so we are hoping to get some clear and concise answers/info (without spending hours and hours of wasted time surfing the web).

Adobe has said "Type 1 fonts will no longer be supported starting 2023". We use Myriad Pro in a lot of our documents (of which we get the message "Your document contains 9 Type 1 Fonts") and I am seeing conflicting information (on the web and in chat forums) on whether Myriad Pro is a Type 1 font and therefore needs to be replaced.

• Question 1: Type 1 Fonts (I've also seen it as OpenType Type 1) need to be replaced with OpenType TrueType Fonts?
  • Question 2: Is there a suggestion for a OpenType TrueType Font to use in place of Myraid Pro that meets within Adobe standards of it not being a Type 1 Font?
  • Question 3: Where is a list that tells us exactly what fonts are Type 1? (therefore, knowing which fonts to avoid using with Adobe products).
  • Question 4: Where is a list that tells us what fonts are OpenType TrueType fonts? (therefore, knowing which fonts we can use properly within Adobe products).

Any advice/help is appreicated.
Thank You

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

If the name of a type face ends with “Pro” or “Std”, you can be sure that it is a OpentType font, not a Type 1. Type 1 are PostScript fonts.

In InDesign, if you see this icon (the O)

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 16.37.33.jpg

it is an OTF font

if the icon is a “a”

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 16.42.01.jpg

it is a PostScript font (a Type 1)

and a TT icon means TrueType…

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 16.44.04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Hi ChrisG66,
What I have been able to figure out based on the info in this conversation (mostly from jmlevy), look at your font list:

• If your font has an icon "O" it's OTF OpenType Font
  • If your font has an icon "TT" it's a TrueType Font
  • If your font has an icon "cloud with a checkmark" it means it comes from Adobe Fonts (pretty sure it makes it OpenType)
  • If your font has an icon "O with VAR on top of it" it means variable font allows the user to create its own weights and widths (pretty sure it makes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

if anybody has anything to add or correct please do so.
Thank You.

By @Peabody Engineering

Yes, a slight correction.

The TTF (TT) file format can be either old TrueType coding or new TrueType coding which is a form of OpenType.

In 2000, the computer industry standardized on one font technology — OpenType which is based on the Unicode system. But before then, we had 2 competing types of fonts: PostScript/Type1 and TrueType.

Today, there are 3 "flavors" of OpenType fonts:

• Those based on o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the name of a type face ends with “Pro” or “Std”, you can be sure that it is a OpentType font, not a Type 1. Type 1 are PostScript fonts.

In InDesign, if you see this icon (the O)

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 16.37.33.jpg

it is an OTF font

if the icon is a “a”

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 16.42.01.jpg

it is a PostScript font (a Type 1)

and a TT icon means TrueType…

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 16.44.04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jmlevy,

Then why would Adobe say "Myriad Pro is a Type 1 font" - which by their message means we need to replace it? Also, when you say OpenType do you also mean OpenType TrueType?

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you see that Adobe says that Myriad Pro is Type 1 font?

OpenType are divided in 2 “flavours”: OpenType PostScript flavoured and OpenType TrueType flavoured

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 16.46.56.jpg

but they are OTF…

More infos here (and certainly elsewhere)

https://www.typotheque.com/help/opentype_fonts/opentype_flavours_truetype_and_postscript

https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography-discussions/difference-between-open-type-flavors/td-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In answer to your question - Where did you see that Adobe says that Myriad Pro is Type 1 font?
When we recently updated InDesign (went from 2021 to 2022), when we first opened up our document in 2022 version we got a message "Type 1 fonts will no longer be supported starting 2023. Your document contains 9 Type 1 Fonts". When we looked to see what Fonts these where it was indicated there where Myriad Pro.

But by reading your info/answers you are saying that Myriad Pro is/will be an acceptable Adobe Font, that it is an OpenType Font (NOT a Type 1).

So why did we get that message? Was it a false message?

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you got this message and I checked again. See below: the first screenshot shows my old Type 1 Myriad folder (that I no longer use)

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 17.29.29.jpg

and this one is The Myriad Pro folder

Capture d’écran 2021-11-04 à 17.29.39.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jmlevy,
Yep - mine also start with MyriadPro and then I have various versions with Regular, Bold, Italic etc.

That is weird and confusing Adobe would give that message to us. Just glad to know that Myriad Pro is an acceptable OpenType TrueType "O" (mine has a cloud with a checkmark) Font.

jmlevy - I appreaciate all your info - I will hold onto it as I will probably need to reference it again......and again......and again......

Thank You.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure the document didn't start with Myriad fonts, which I believe were Type 1? They haven't been around for years since Myriad Pro and Std came along.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Creamer Training,
I don't ever recall using just "Myriad" it's always been "Myriad Pro". I just went to look in the Fonts folder and all the versions (regular, bold etc.) say "Myriad Pro".

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check your font usage, or possibly it's used in a paragraph style (but not in use on the page)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Creamer Training,
Yes - all aspects where checked. I see no reference to "Myriad" only.....it's a mystery.

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sample above is helpful. In our Font List I see a lot with "O" or "TT". But some fonts have what looks like a cloud with a checkmark and some other fonts have the O with VAR on top of it.

• The Myriad Pro we are using has a cloud with a checkmark.
  • Also in the font list Myriad Variable Concept and that one has the O with VAR

What would these versions mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cloud icon means that the font comes from AdobeFonts, and even if I do not use them, I am pretty sure that all Adobe Fonts are OpenType. As I wrote, “Pro” in the font name ensures you that it is an OpenType font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received the same message regarding type 1 fonts. Recently I changed all my documents to only use the fonts Adobe offers on their creative cloud. The document only uses Acumin Pro family and Americane family. These fonts are offered on Adobe's creative cloud. Is this family of fonts being used not open type? I hope the message was an error, because I have changed a ton of files to Adobe creative cloud fonts assuming they are open type. Thank you fot your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember to check the fonts used in graphics too, including perhaps very old logos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ChrisG66,
What I have been able to figure out based on the info in this conversation (mostly from jmlevy), look at your font list:

• If your font has an icon "O" it's OTF OpenType Font
  • If your font has an icon "TT" it's a TrueType Font
  • If your font has an icon "cloud with a checkmark" it means it comes from Adobe Fonts (pretty sure it makes it OpenType)
  • If your font has an icon "O with VAR on top of it" it means variable font allows the user to create its own weights and widths (pretty sure it makes it OpenType)
  • If your font has an icon "a" it is a PostScript font (a Type 1) - and I think Type 1 is the one Adobe says they are not going to support starting 2023

Hopefully this summarizes the Font Types - if anybody has anything to add or correct please do so.
Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the bullet list. I greatly appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if anybody has anything to add or correct please do so.
Thank You.

By @Peabody Engineering

Yes, a slight correction.

The TTF (TT) file format can be either old TrueType coding or new TrueType coding which is a form of OpenType.

In 2000, the computer industry standardized on one font technology — OpenType which is based on the Unicode system. But before then, we had 2 competing types of fonts: PostScript/Type1 and TrueType.

Today, there are 3 "flavors" of OpenType fonts:

• Those based on original PostScript fonts and converted to OpenType in 2000. They will have the O icon, and they often (but not always) have either Pro or Std at the end of their name. Std = they contain only the original glyphs in the original PostScript font. Pro = they have more than the original glyphs in them.
  • Those based on original TrueType fonts and converted to OpenType in 2000. They will have the TT icon.
  • Those based on Unicode created after 2000. They'll have either the TT or O icon, but most likely TT.

Bottom line: don't depend entirely on the icon. A TT font may or may not be an OpenType font.

Instead, open its properties or examine it in a font management program (like Linotype's Font Explorer) and see the details of the technology behind the font.

As long as you see "OpenType" or "Unicode" anywhere in its description, it's a compliant font and can be used.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi Chagnon - PubCom,
Thank You for adding the additional information to the conversation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peabody Engineering,

after all this information here in the discussion that was given:

Do you think you discovered a new bug and the message that your document contains Type 1 fonts is misleading or outright wrong?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laubender,
My intial response would be to say it was a misleading message. After posting the question here and reading the response and sorting out the information, I basically discovered that Myriad Pro is an "OpenType TrueType" Font, in my font list it shows a cloud with a checkmark which would mean it comes from Adobe Fonts which would make it an "O" OpenType Font (based on info from conversation thread).

When we first opened up our 141 page document in InDesign 2022 is when we got that message "Type 1 fonts will no longer be supported starting 2023. Your document contains 9 Type 1 Fonts." When we went to look in the Find/Replace Font, it showed Type 1 Fonts: 9 and they where all our Myriad Pro Fonts. So thinking we had to replace them we decided to replace them with Arial Font but when we attempted to do a "Find and Change All" InDesign crashed. We tried again, this time trying to change just one instance and we could change (1) instance but if we attempted to "Change All" InDesign crashed, we tried many times and it crashed every time. So (for us) there is a major flow with trying to utlized the Find/Text "Change All" feature - it crashes.

Then somewhere along the way of opening InDesign 2022 (many times) and reviewing the Find/Replace Text now it says there are 0 Type 1 Fonts and we are still using Myriad Pro. So what happened....?! I don't know some where along the way InDesign determined Myriad Pro was not a Type 1 Font (I guess it's the magic behind the scenes that can't be explained).

We have many fonts in our list and I reviewed them and there is no "a" Type 1 font in our list.

I hope that helps to give you some kind of answer/feedback. If you need more info let me know.

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else to keep in mind is that you may have PostScript fonts in a document that give you this warning when opening:

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 7.59.28 PM.png

I got the warning because Rockwell is a PostScript Type1 font, and it's not installed on my system, but the other font is missing not because it's PostScript—only because it's missing. If I hit the Replace Fonts button, I get this:
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 7.59.38 PM.png

…which tells me when I click on Rockwell that it's a Type 1 font, but when I click on Lobster, I get this:

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 7.59.44 PM.png

…which tells me that Lobster is an OpenType font (Type 1 flavored), so it would be fine if I can locate it. I just wanted to say to be careful that you don't assume everything that's missing is a PostScript font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting up a Preflight profile for T1 fonts.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines