Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating two-column footnotes in one-column texts

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to find a way to create two-column footnotes without making the text two columns. So, I need to keep the main text in one-column and make the footnotes in two-columns. I have contacted Adobe several times but they couldn't offer a solution. Attached is an example of what I need.

Can anyone help me?

example.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to , InCopy workflow , Performance , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi muttaki,

as said elsewhere, this is still no feature with InDesign.

You may be able to work around this with endnotes instead of footnotes that are running in their own endnote story.

Very unflexible, because you have to maintain the extra text frames of that story yourself.

You have to apply text wrap and you need to do extra elements for the "footnote" rules.

And you may have to do both footnotes and endnotes in the same document where this workaround must fail.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnotes_columns.html

I've never tried it with right-to-left text.

You could also try this:

https://www.id-extras.com/products/footwork/

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried this (and it may be the same technique as Peter refers to) but it should be possible to set the pages up as two-column and then define all styles EXCEPT the footnotes to span columns.

I have the feeling this will work just well enough to cause other structural problems, especially with an RTL layout, but it might be worth trying.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but it should be possible to set the pages up as two-column and then define all styles EXCEPT the footnotes to span columns."

Hi NitroPress,

tried it and it did not work.

The footnote texts always follow the layout of the main text where the footnote number is.

If you span the main text paragraphs the footnote text will also span the columns even if the paragraph style applied did not say so.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was worth a shot (I'm working with a a complex column/footnote book right now and have found some weird combinations).

Oh, well. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines