• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud Library Graphics now have a white background

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had set up various continuous project libraries and they always worked great. I have assets (logos in ai format) that were always transparent backgrounds. Today for some reason, all the assets have a white background (think jpeg), when I open the graphic files in illustrator, there's no background color. This is particularly more annoying that InDesign is the primary culprit. 

Has anyone had anything like this happen and if so how did you correct it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

One of the limitations of using transparent Illustrator files in the CC Library is that there is no setting when placing from CC Library into InDesign that automatically retains the transparency. InDesign uses the current status of the Place command.

I just did a test. I placed the same transparent AI file into InDesign using the File > Place command. When I placed it, I checked Show Import Options. The first time, I checked Transparent and it appeared as transparent in InDesign. If I then placed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Thanks everyone! So just an update... the assets that were housed in the Creative Cloud Library work properly all of a sudden. No real solution to be offered on this. I don't believe there were any updates made during that time to the software. The files don't have a white background on them. I had been using the libraries for months, I knew there was nothing wrong with the files so I was incredibly perplexed and frustrated with the issues, and while I'm glad they're resolved I would love to kno

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the File Hosting, Syncing, and Collaboration forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gb,

I'm neither an InDesign or an Illustrator expert so I could be completely wrong but could you try this.

I'm wondering if dragging an InDesign file from the Libraries panel is essentially the same thing as using the place command. If so, it may be remembering the last settings used for the place command.

Please try this and see if it makes any difference.

1) Save one of your .ai files with a transparent background to the desktop

2) In InDesign use the place command File > Place

3) In the which file to place dialogue, select the .ai file you saved to the desktop, ALSO check the option "Show Import Options", click Open

4) In the Place window showing the import options ensure the transparency option is checked

5) See if this placed .ai has transparency in InDesign (hopefully yes)

6) Now test other .ai files from the Libraries panel to see if they do too

Hope that helps?

Best,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the limitations of using transparent Illustrator files in the CC Library is that there is no setting when placing from CC Library into InDesign that automatically retains the transparency. InDesign uses the current status of the Place command.

I just did a test. I placed the same transparent AI file into InDesign using the File > Place command. When I placed it, I checked Show Import Options. The first time, I checked Transparent and it appeared as transparent in InDesign. If I then placed the same graphic from CC libraries by right-clicking and choosing Place Linked or Place Copy, it honored that transparent setting.

Then I repeated the test using File > Place. This time I unchecked Transparent. It appeared with an opaque white background. When I placed the same transparent AI file from CC Libraries, it used the File > Place setting and came in with an opaque background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I've been having this issue, too. I would have never thought of this as a solution. Y'all rock!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yours is actually the correct solution to the problem. Thank you for this. This happened to me all of a sudden so I can't figure out WHY it happened but the How-To-Fix solution you provided worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have been using Adobe CC forever and suddenly the same issue happened. Makes no sense but it worked:-))))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Steve — was wondering why my new install of InDesign wasn't honoring image transparency like on my previous installs. I have a vector icon library containing hundreds of files, each with a consistent holding shape (just an unfilled box around all of the images to ensure line-weight is consistent between placed icons, even when the aspect ratios differ). Filling that box with white causes other problems (mainly, it renders the images useless when they're placed on any color other than white). Such a weird oversight on Adobe's part. You're a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, it doesn't work for me, I followed your advice and placed it from Library in Indesign, however, Illustrator files still display as a solid BG. Most frustrating, I'm using copy and paste cause I have a deadline. What's the point of a library if we have to file place manually as it used to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help David!

The odd thing about all this is that the assets that I have in my libraries worked for almost a year, flawlessly. The libraries allowed a repeated set to assets to be readily available on any CC software which was amazing. I do know about placing with transparency options as a backup and that works for me. It's just such a shame and a puzzle to have these assets all of a sudden stop working as they have for a long time.

Regardless, your help is incredibly appreciated and I am so grateful you took the time to help!! I will resort to your solution until this gets sorted out. I will post if I figure anything else out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little strange work-around but it works. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you THANK YOU — this worked for me 🙂

It's been sooo frustrating. Cheers 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David's solution above worked for me.

I just placed a random illustrator file into my InDesign document (remember to tick show "Show Import Options") and I noticed then that transparent background was unchecked. I ticked it then imported the random file. I then replaced (dragged out) my illustrator cloud file again from the library palette and voila, transparent background! This I think started to happen after I upgraded to InDesign 2023. Previously there was no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone! So just an update... the assets that were housed in the Creative Cloud Library work properly all of a sudden. No real solution to be offered on this. I don't believe there were any updates made during that time to the software. The files don't have a white background on them. I had been using the libraries for months, I knew there was nothing wrong with the files so I was incredibly perplexed and frustrated with the issues, and while I'm glad they're resolved I would love to know what happened.

I guess we may never know... *sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my post #3? If you placed an Illustrator file and checked Transparent, then all the CC Library AI files which had a transparent background would then show a transparent background when dragged into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to set this as a default setting so you don't have to do this every time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or adding the feature to the CC library directly.

Maybe add a CC libray setting modal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, I understand your solution for placing vector objects in InDesign with transparent background. Have you encountered adding white vectors to a CC library that aren't previewing with a transparent background? When I add a vector to the library, the background previews transparent, but if another team member adds one, the background isn't transparent. Vice versa too!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this solution. It was driving me insane! Phew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem was here. Solved. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Steve Werner 

It's incredible how many little bugs there are on cloud and library.... It could be a great tool to sharing files and collaborate with team, but things like this are very frustrating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines