• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Damaged File - No reason, can anyone help?

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - I have an important indesign file which no won't open, after making no changes to it for one day.

The file is 226mb - is there potential that it can be saved?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try opening a copy but beyond that I have no idea. Adobe had a service where they'd try to repair it but I don't recall if they still do or how to send them.

If you were working in a Dropbox or OneDrive folder you could roll back a version and try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I am chatting with an agent right now. The problem was likely caused by Google drive syncing annoyingly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the blind open idml found in this thread

If that doesn't work, there is also an Adobe address in that thread that you can send a corrupt file to; they may be able to recover it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed this script, I am struggling to understand how to run the script in OSX sorry - can anyone guide me through it, I am not familiar with running scripts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I just ran the scrip actually - within indesign, no success though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a link to Adobe's tips on how to recover a corrupt document.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

I skimmed the earlier link and didn't see the Adobe email in it—doesn't mean it wasn't there—so here it is again just to be safe:

If no resolution works, share the affected file with us at idfile@adobe.com. We'll investigate the issue and let you know if the recovery is possible. When you share your file(s) with us, you not only enable the Adobe team to find a solution to your problem, but also help us improve the overall user experience by identifying and resolving other similar issues. We assure that your file will strictly remain confidential and will be used only for investigation purposes. Ensure that the file you share does not include any sensitive personal information. We'll try our best to assist you, but as recovery depends on various factors, we cannot promise a permanent solution.

There is also a paid, third party solution: https://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines