• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct access to table cell properties

Advocate ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In tht project, I had to take over the InDesign source documents for some forms. Note that I do not have much experience with InDesign, so this may be very elementary.

Now, I have several problems with the tables:

• in one case, I have to add another row (which worked); however, despite all the properties I checked, the bottom border line does not show up. 

• Some table cells do have a background color, which I have to change, but I can't find out how to access intividual cells (Rows and Columns do have properties, but how do I display (and modify) for example the properties of the cell formed by the third column and the fifth row?

Thank you very much in advance for any hint.

TOPICS
How to , Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As ID is almost wholly style-driven... You will probably want to keep the Table, Table Styles and Cell Styles palettes open and get familiar with them and how they represent and affect the current table and cell. There is lots of functionality buried in there. 

About all that may not be evident after a little study is that Cell styles override any base Table styles or formatting.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I thought it's a scripting question... 

About all that may not be evident after a little study is that Cell styles override any base Table styles or formatting.

By @James Gifford—NitroPress

Just to add - CellStyles behave in a similar way to CharStyles that override ParaStyle formatting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good observation. I tend to think of tables as more hierarchical, but the two cases really are the same. 

In export (HTML, EPUB) there is a third layer, the equivalent of <tr>, but it's feeble and only controls a few things. From inside ID, it's only the two levels. 

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines