• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing Mode? Not sure what happened...

Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was just typing and I guess I hit something wrong, but now my page looks weird and I can't figure out what I did or how to get it back to the original look.  I tried clicking on my Workspace, but it doesn't make any changes.  Also, the ribbon at the top and the ruler have disappeared.  Can anyone help me?  I am working in Windows 11.  I can't tell you the ID version because the pop up box is so small I can't read it. 

Thank you! 

GS

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Just close the panel "Edit in Story Editor".

I'm not sure what the shortcut is in your version. In my German UI it is [Strg/Ctrl]+[Y]

You will find the menu command in the menu: Edit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Hi @Graphic Squirrel:

@pixxxelschubser is correct.

For context, Story Editor is a basic text editor built into InDesign. It enables you to edit text in a separate window, and it can be customized in various ways to make it easier to read using Preferences > Story Editor Display.

Ctrl Y will toggle it open and closed, or you can use the X (Windows) at the top of the Story Editor window to return to the normal Layout view.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: None of my tools are working (all grayed out) except the text tool, as are most of the page layout options.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just close the panel "Edit in Story Editor".

I'm not sure what the shortcut is in your version. In my German UI it is [Strg/Ctrl]+[Y]

You will find the menu command in the menu: Edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Graphic Squirrel:

@pixxxelschubser is correct.

For context, Story Editor is a basic text editor built into InDesign. It enables you to edit text in a separate window, and it can be customized in various ways to make it easier to read using Preferences > Story Editor Display.

Ctrl Y will toggle it open and closed, or you can use the X (Windows) at the top of the Story Editor window to return to the normal Layout view.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working in In Design for 20 years, and I had never seen that before!  🙂  If anyone else has this issue, I corrected it by going to Edit > Edit in Layout.  It said Story Editor, and I would never have known that was the problem without you all, so thank you so much!

GS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing in the text editor is always a good way to check your own document or documents of others. You can see the assignment of paragraph styles, anchors, real numbering (or not) and many other things.

Some examples:

bulletList_000_02.png

Aufzählung_neustarten.jpg

code_Formatting_4.png

Inhaltsverzeichnis_zweizeilig_06.png

Tabelle_abgerundete_Zellen_4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Graphic Squirrel ,

one of the best things about the Story Editor Window:
You can see overset text!

From my German InDesign:

OversetText-StoryEditorWindow.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines