• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excel Doc to InDesign

Participant ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Excel doc with links in InDesign.

So far everything is extracting (TEXT) well from Excel to InDesign except that I have a text block in the legend area and the script I am using has a PB where all the other lines of text have a 1. That block of text does not extract into the legend area.

I tried to expand the box some so it would fall into the canvas but it did change anything.

Any idea how to fix this? Screen shot attached.

Thanks

TOPICS
Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What script are you using? PB means pasteboard. What's on the pasteboard? Can you post a doc, excel and or script? Its unclear what the issue is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Data Merge feature in InDesign. I can't show what I am working on. Just want to know why it does not paste data into the PB and if there is a way to do it using Data Merge or another script?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pasteboard content won't populate in merged documents, as you've discovered, because that content is not part of a page that is duplicated. My workaround for this is typically to have whatever PB content you want to populate in a hidden, nonprinting object (ie text frame) on the template page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is no way to have text from an Excel doc import into the InDesign PB.

That's all I needed to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are ways but not via DataMerge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is no way to have text from an Excel doc import into the InDesign PB.

That's all I needed to know!

By @Christopher3440329747o5

If you format your object in a way, that it will be part of your template - but visually be outside of the page - very wide TextFrame to the right and you set text align to the right or set very big left inset / margin that will push text outside of the page - you should be able to use DataMerge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure it will help in your situation, but it is worth a try. A trick to get pasteboard content recognized is (for example) set the text frame to align bottom, and put a small portion of the top of the text frame on the bottom edge of the page. With the content aligned to the bottom and the frame larger enough that none of the content actually appears on the page, but the frame is on the page, the remaining content is usually recognized then. Again, no guarantee it will work but worth a try.

As for Excel to InDesign, see this thread...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/script-for-import-data-from-excel-to-indesign/m-...

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines