Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export PDF with Adobe Fonts

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I'm trying to export my design as a PDF to print it. However, I'm using Adobe Fonts that aren't being packaged (they are a plain font when viewing the PDF). How can I make sure the font  will be exported?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

You will be fine. The font will be embedded in the PDF. It will not be packaged without fonts, but that is not a problem as anyone with a CC license will ahve access to Adobe fonts. Test it yourself: save a PDF and open it in a non-Adobe program. Only Adobe Creative Cloud apps have access to Adobe fonts. Preview, Chrome, Safari, or another PDF reader will not. The font should appear normally, meaning it is in the PDF.

Here is a screen grab from Preview of a PDF I saved from InDesign. After sav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Only Adobe Creative Cloud apps have access to Adobe fonts. 

By @Scott Falkner

Any font activated through Adobe Fonts should be available to any application on your system. They are not restricted to Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's clarify what you are experiencing. Are you saying a font you used in a document is changing to a different font in your PDF? e.g. a bold has become a plain? When you view the PDF in Acrobat, what fonts does it say are in your document (File > Properties), and are they embedded/subset?

Also, let's clarify your terms: If you are attempting to Package your InDesign document, i.e. collecting all the pieces of your document: linked graphics, etc., then you should know you cannot package Adobe cloud fonts (or any other fonts with licensing restrictions due to legal reasons). That's not necessary anyway, as anyone with InDesign will have access to the same Adobe fonts anyway.

"How can I make sure the font will be exported?"

Not sure what you mean by exported. Again, if you are referring to packaging, you cannot.

If you instead mean making sure it's embedded in the PDF, that's up to the Export PDF settigs you are using or have defined. Normally, export setting direct fonts to be embedded (subset), unless there's a licensing restriction forbiiding so. Adobe cloud fonts are pretty much all appropriately licensed, so that shouldn't be an issue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, yes, I simply want to export as a PDF with the font embedded so the text in the printed version will appear with it, and it can be viewed anywhere (not just acrobat with the activated font). I'm using Acier BAT, if that helps. Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will be fine. The font will be embedded in the PDF. It will not be packaged without fonts, but that is not a problem as anyone with a CC license will ahve access to Adobe fonts. Test it yourself: save a PDF and open it in a non-Adobe program. Only Adobe Creative Cloud apps have access to Adobe fonts. Preview, Chrome, Safari, or another PDF reader will not. The font should appear normally, meaning it is in the PDF.

Here is a screen grab from Preview of a PDF I saved from InDesign. After saving the PDF I deactivated Acier BAT.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 11.45.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only Adobe Creative Cloud apps have access to Adobe fonts. 

By @Scott Falkner

Any font activated through Adobe Fonts should be available to any application on your system. They are not restricted to Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me. Adobe Fonts available in InDesign are not available in Pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me. Adobe Fonts available in InDesign are not available in Pages.

I'm on Windows so no way to check that here, but they work in Office applications.

2023-01-20_07-31-15.png

2023-01-20_07-32-32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are for me in Pages here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, check your PDF's Properties (under the file menu)... if the font was successfully embedded, it will be listed there. If not, something is up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, check your PDF's Properties (under the file menu)... if the font was successfully embedded, it will be listed there. If not, something is up.

By Brad @ Roaring Mouse

Are you responding to me? I am not OP and the issue for me is not that fonts are not embedded in PDFs. I provided one of the corect answers. All I am saying is that Adobe Fonts activated in my browser or in Adobe CC apps are only available in Adobe apps, not in other apps. This is not a problem as it is expected behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not expected by me. Those fonts should be available to all installed applications. I'm not sure how that all works on a Mac, but have you looked at Font Book to see if they're showing there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echoing Bob, however, Adobe fonts are available to all applications on your System, Adobe or not, while they are active. Some apps may need to be closed and reopened for them to be recognized, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are you responding to me"  No, sorry! to the OP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines