• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to Kindle in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone help me export an ebook created in InDesign to the reading format on the Kindle?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create an ePub from an InDesign document first, by exporting to the format. There are two kinds of ePub: a Reflowable ePubs (for text-heavy books) and Fixed Layout ePubs (for illustrated books), Having created the ePub, and validated it, you can use the free converter from Amazon to create a mobi file, which is the format the Kindle uses.

Linkedin Learning have useful online video tutorials on how to create these formats. You can get 30-days free access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also get Linked In Learning free with your local library sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to what Derek suggested, you may click on help article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/export-content-epub-cc.html to know how you can create EPUB using InDesign. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for this. I have a fixed layout ePub created by InDesign for Apple Books. Is Kindle Create still required, or helpful? So you'd need to export a PDF from InDesign, import it into Kindle Create and go from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So you'd need to export a PDF from InDesign, import it into Kindle Create and go from there?"

Yes, that's the way to create a Fixed Layout for Kindle. Very simple process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I'm trying to do the same thing but I'm having trouble. I've got a reflowable epub document and I'm trying to figure out how to also create a kindle version. When I go to kindle create, it only recognizes .kcb files when I go to open existing file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reflowable epub you need to get the app Kindle Previewer. When you open your epub file with Kindle Previewer it gets automatically converted to a MOBI file. The mobi file is used then to publish on KDP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This comment was sucha HUGE help to me! I am working on a 2,000 page print book that I need to get in to kindle in  a fixed layout format and KDP is pretty much no help. Learning about Kindle Create was a huge lifesaver! THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These comments are nearly four years out of date. The Kindle system evolves quickly and Kindle Create is not a great tool for anything but simple books. Just... heads up.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's ok. I used it today and it did a wonderful job make a really nice file for KDP from my PDF. I did have to redo the ToC but that was the least of my troubles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Glad to hear that the suggestions helped. For more information on publishing ePub, please check this article. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindle Create ONLY supports input in .DOC, .DOCX, and PDF formats.

It WILL NOT convert an ePub toKindle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now it's doc docx and rtf

😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, EPUB was supported well before that post's date, as well, for Kindle submission.

No one with InDesign should really be using Kindle Create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone producing FXL ePubs and who's on a Mac should have a look at CircularFLO:
https://www.circularflo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Derek. The only hesitation is that it does not say what the price will be after the free period. Free is good but learning how costs me my time may not be a good investment if I'm back to Rich Text rebuilding later anyway. Got the email that says $99 "purchase credit" but that does not clarify if that's per page, per book, or dozen books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing this resource, Derek. It looks very promising and now I feel even more inspired to build my ebook with InDesign, knowing ahead of time that this process is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll just chime into note that by and large, fixed-layout EPUB should be avoided unless it is the only option—which is pretty much only the case for books that are primarily illustrations, such as children's books and graphic novels.

If your book is mostly text, exporting to reflowable format is greatly preferable, if for no other reason than "that's how the medium is supposed to work." Think of FXL as doing a web page as a series of exported page images... which is, more or less, exactly what it is.

But InDesign to EPUB (either format, but especially reflowable) is a superior process to all the amateur, code-based approaches that too many still use and promote.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I didn't understand the pricing options before, but now CircularFlo now has a clear-cut pricing plan. I will take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue; an ebook with graphics and content was created for a cookbook, but when exporting to EPUB Fixed, everything is moved around and nothing is where it should be. I am totally confused on how to fix it. I need it to look exactly like what I created on Kindle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused — do you mean you 'need it to look like the paper [KDP] edition'? Or did you successfully get to Kindle via some other path than InDesign EPUB export?

FXL EPUB problems are very difficult to fix and tend to hark back to basic layout issues — what will "dump" to print pages can't always be successfully processed to an EPUB layout. But first, what reader are you using to evaluate the EPUB export?

I'll also note that reflowable does not mean organized graphics and content can't be used. It would have a different layout, but one just as useful and (potentially) better read on small devices. Scanning and panning fixed pages on a phone is a PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. What I mean is that once I export the file, the same way I designed it in InDesign, is the same way I would like it to appear in Kindle. For some reason, though, after exporting in EPUB Fixed or PDF formats, shifts everything around (pictures, words etc are moved around, nothing is in place). I hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think everything relevant has already been said in this thread — FXL is a problematic layout that either works more or less perfectly or doesn't work at all. It's useful, in some percentage of cases, to get a print book with complex pages to EPUB, but it's not a format for which books should be designed... if that makes sense. The additional jump from FXL EPUB in a compatible viewer to Kindle is another hurdle, oftentimes.

I am still not clear if you only want a Kindle edition, or parallel print (KDP, I assume) and Kindle editions. That changes the answers somewhat.

You have, more or less, three paths. One is to try and fix the InDesign layout, both within ID and using third-party tools, so that you get a successful EPUB export that Kindle will import properly. Especially if the faults go back to fundamental layout issues (even FXL EPUB demands meticulous style and element management; you simply can't get away with a sloppy layout that will print fine), this could be a long, frustrating road requiring pay tools and some pro help.

The second path is to reconstruct the book as reflowable EPUB. This means a little bit of re-envisioning, if you're fixed on complex page layouts, but it can be done and it makes the book a lot more accessible; it's also possible to do a lot more with reflowable output than the absurdly complex jigsaw puzzle that FXL generates. (This would be done in a complete separate set of ID work files that would have to be maintained in parallel with a print edition's docs.)

The third possibility, if you want both editions, is to rebuild the project from whatever level needed so that you have one InDesign project that exports to PDF for your print edition, and exports to reflowable EPUB for the Kindle edition. Not a trivial process, but IMVHO and IME an easier and more accessible road than trying to fix a faulty FXL source process, and there's no issues of having the editions get out of sync with each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines