Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported PDF Showing .indd Extension Instead of .pd

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2024 Oct 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I exported pdf file from indesign and same pdf file i am uploading to the wordpress based website.

The file opens up with pdf with no issues but it shows ".indd" file as extension instead of ".pdf" extension.

Please help to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Jyoti Raj 

<Title renamed by MOD>

TOPICS
Import and export , Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if you clicked an existing file name when you exported it — "My File for Wordpress.indd" — and InDesign obediently used that, plus a .pdf extension that might be hidden, as the file name.

Simply rename it [FILENAME].pdf.

If this happens again, look closely at your workflow (especially in how you are naming files), and report back with more details.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I even copied the same pdf file and renamed to a different file name but I when I upload it to the wordpress media file, somehow ".indd" extension shows up. Not able to understand where did extension coming from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://nepalese.ca/ws/2024/10/06/ottawa-chautari-volume-45-october-2024/

Click on "Download PDF version", it downloads as pdf version but the thumbnail shows ".indd" file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went to your link and clicked on the Download PDF Version link. It downloaded as a PDF, opened in Acrobat and when I checked the file location inthe temp files it carries the .pdf extension.

I would have thought that @James Gifford—NitroPress was correct about the naming, but there is no trace of .indd anywhere in the downloaded filename, so I'm baffled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what might be happening here. Are you on a platform that shows you entire file names (Windows, with extensions enabled, and not Windows with extensions hidden, or MacOS)?

If the raw filename, as viewed in, say, Properties of your file manager, shows [FILENAME].pdf and does not contain an '.indd' string, then the issue must lie with WordPress's media manager. Are you sure that you're looking at a new file you've uploaded, and not being redirected or misled by a file that was already uploaded to the site?

You might delete ALL relevant files from the WP media list, restart your browser and admin login, and upload the correct (correctly named) file again. That's all I can think of as a cause and solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the exported PDF metadata is still "<FILENAME>.indd and I tried editing the PDF file to use the new metadata but this is not editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open PDF-->Documents-->Properties--Title

How can i change this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would seem to confirm that you exported it to "FILENAME.indd[,pdf]" — at least, so it seems. So that file info got embedded in the metadata.

It may well be beyond reasonable editing, but PDFs are meant to be an end-use format anyway. Do a fresh export to an overall new/correct filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, PDF Metadata has the Title entry, but it's unusual for this to affect the document info displayed to the user.

Regardless, in PDF Export Settings > Advanced in InDesign you can choose what to use for the Title entry:

leor_0-1728266224046.png

If you choose Document Title, then the Document Title metadata entry of the InDesign document will be  used, which is empty by default; File > File Info. [Also, see more info below.]

leor_1-1728266284215.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

P.S. Wait, I actually described it slighly inaccurately.

Here's the actual correct info:

leor_0-1728266804613.png

This option affects how the document title is displayed in Acrobat. Is that what you experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your OS, and what application are you using to view the PDF? Perhaps the problem lies inthe opening app reading the creator metadata instead of the filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines