• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[ExtendScript] How to use "afterNew" event

Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm trying to run some ExtendScript code when the user creates a new document but I'm not getting it to work. I've probably made a basic mistake, which someone can point out, but otherwise, could anyone test my script on their system?

I expect it to name the first Layer "TEST" but for me it throws an error (which the script handles and displays in an alert).

I'm using Indesign 19.0.1 and MacOS 14.1.2.

Here is my test case, whch I run from the Startup Scripts folder:

//@targetengine "test"

if (app.eventListeners.item("afterNew").isValid)
    app.eventListeners.item("afterNew").remove();

app.eventListeners.add("afterNew", myHandler);

function myHandler(ev) {

var messages = [
        'ev.parent.constructor.name = ' + ev.parent.constructor.name,
        'app.layoutWindows.length = ' + app.layoutWindows.length,
        'app.modalState = ' + app.modalState,
    ];

try {
        // do something to the DOM
        ev.parent.layers[0].name = 'TEST';
        messages.unshift('Success');
    }
    catch (error) {
        messages.unshift('Failed:');
        messages.push('error: ' + error.message + ' (line: ' + error.line + ')');
    }
    finally {
        alert(messages.join('\n'));
    }

};

This is what I see every time I create a new document:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 18.45.50.png

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

Edit 2023-12-05: added an alert even if the test was successful, added screenshot.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Tried with InDesign 19.0.1 and macOS 12.6.7.

It always succeeds when in the legacy new document  dialog. New format new document dialog causes errors. Even when it succeeds, the modalState is true, and it seems to be executed before it finishes creating the document.

alert.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Hi Mark,

Since afterNew is triggered whenever a document is created, it can occur in various circumstances including when a modal dialog is active, due e.g. to the Preview checkbox of the New document dialog. (Maybe this also occurs under other conditions…)

The script below helps clarify this.

//----------------------------------
// TEST AFTER_NEW
// [REM] This script does not require a persistent engine,
// run it once to install the event handler.

(functio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

I tested it on Windows 10, in InDesign 18.4 and 19.0.  It works as expected: without any errors.

In the catch block, besides the error message, I recommend you to include the error line to know where exactly the error occurs:

catch(err) {
	alert("Something went wrong: " + err.message + ", line: " + err.line);
}

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kasyan, that's good to know it works on Windows, so it's probably not my technique.

Maybe it's a MacOS issue ( @rob day? ).

- Mark

P.S. Kasyan, I agree with you about adding the error.line—very useful!—but in the case there is only one line! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a comma after the last element in the messages array: after app.modalState. I think that's a mistake.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a sharp eye! 🙂 But that is just my style. It has never caused problems in ExtendScript or Javascript, but you can't do it in JSON, unfortunately.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another idea: set the script to the Full debug mode.

Not sure if this works on Mac in VSCode, but on Windows, on clicking the OK button it is opened in ESTK so you can debug it step by step.

2023-12-05_09-54-56.png

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that would be good, but I can't work out how to get the ExtendScript debugger in VSCode stay connected. It disconnects as soon as the script is finished (which is almost immediately) and so by the time myHandler is run, the debugger doesn't know about it. Oh well.

Having said that, I really don't know what the debugger would tell me in this case. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the code so I wouldn't know what to look for. I'm hoping that a MacOS person will confirm one way or the other.

Thanks for all your time helping me.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I edited the test script so that it will report results even for success. If you had time, could you post the result on Windows? I'm guessing for you the modalState will be false.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, modalState is true.

The event occurs while the new document window is open.

2023-12-05_10-06-21.png

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same result as Kas, Mark. Works fine (Windows 10, ID 19.0.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on Sonoma, right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So maybe another incompatibility? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, I haven‘t had a chance to test your code, but this works for me with CC2021 on Mojave directly from VSC:

#targetengine "namelayer"

var an = app.eventListeners.add("afterNew", setLayer);

function setLayer(e){
    var d = e.parent;
    e.parent.layers[0].name = 'TEST';
    an.remove()
    alert("Hello\r" + d.name + "\r" + d.layers[0].name)
}

Others have suggested that you don’t need a #targetengine line, but I always include one when using event listeners—not sure if that might be your problem?

Screen Shot 22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the test @rob day. Here's what I get, from VSCode:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 23.59.14.png

Oh well. I'm hoping someone will be able to test using Indesign 19.0.1 and MacOS 14.1.2.

I still don't know if it's a new bug/incompatibility or something particular to my setup. Thanks for helping.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, by the way @rob day, your intuition matches mine—that we *must* specify a persistent targetengine (anything except "transient" but not "main" I think but I don't remember why?) because that is where your event listener lives. If I don't specify targetengine, I get a different error: something like "the object is no longer available", which makes sense.

EDIT: see Marc Autret's demo script below, which passes a File to the app.eventListeners.add method and DOES NOT require a persistent engine (because the code is loaded from the file every time). This also makes script development easier—you only need to edit the script file, and not even run it, because the new code will be executed from the file by the event listener that is already instantiated (unless you are editing the event listener management part, in which case you do have to restart Indesign I guess).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can check on Ventura with v19 later today—don’t have an installation of Sonoma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried with InDesign 19.0.1 and macOS 12.6.7.

It always succeeds when in the legacy new document  dialog. New format new document dialog causes errors. Even when it succeeds, the modalState is true, and it seems to be executed before it finishes creating the document.

alert.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes @sttk3, this is the salient feature for me! I was using the "new" New Document Dialog. When I switch to the "legacy" New Document Dialog (which I now notice that @rob day is using) I get success like you did. Well that sheds some light on the problem. Thanks very much.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Since afterNew is triggered whenever a document is created, it can occur in various circumstances including when a modal dialog is active, due e.g. to the Preview checkbox of the New document dialog. (Maybe this also occurs under other conditions…)

The script below helps clarify this.

// TEST AFTER_NEW
// [REM] This script does not require a persistent engine,
// run it once to install the event handler.

(function(/*any*/ev,  doc,msg,ff,t)
{
   if( !(ev||0).isValid )
   {
      // Install the event listener (if not yet installed!)
      // ---
      const UID = 'myAfterNewHandler';
      (ff=File($.fileName)).exists
      && !((t=app.eventListeners).itemByName(UID)).isValid
      && ((t.add('afterNew',ff)).name=UID);
      return;
   }

// Checkpoint.
   // ---
   if( 'afterNew' != ev.eventType ) return; // Make sure this is the right event.
   doc = ev.target||0;
   if( 'Document' != doc.constructor.name ) return; // Make sure you're targeting a Doc.

// Process.
   // ---
   if( app.modalState )
   {
      msg = "You are probably in creating a Document with 'Preview' enabled. "
      + "Hence ID has a dialog box active (modalState==true), which prevents "
      + "calling an active DOM function at this time :-(";
   }
   else
   {
      try
      {
         doc.layers[0].name = 'TEST';
         msg = "Worked fine."
      }
      catch(e)
      {
         msg = "An error occured:\r" + e.message + " [" + e.line + "]";
      }
   }

alert( msg );

})($.global.evt);

The crucial parameter is app.modalState. As expressed in the original error message you've encountered, you can't send an active DOM command when a modal window is active. That's is a golden rule of the scripting system. Depending on how the New document box is used, the app might be in “modal state” at the exact moment the document is generated. In particular, this happens when the Preview checkbox is turned on, making a document being created in the background (afterNew is fired then).

MacOS.png

Win10.png

Apart from these situations, the script seems to work as expected in both macOS and Windows. The behavior of InDesign is consistent. I also observed that the document may be created (and the event notified) even before the "New document" dialog is opened, in which case it does not yet have an associated LayoutWindow. (But this is not an obstacle to renaming a layer)

Anyway, that background document remains an annoying problem when you want to achieve an afterNew handler that sends DOM commands. I haven't studied the issue further but I guess we may have to target another event…

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is terrific, Marc, thanks for taking the time to put together the demo script which is instructive and fascinating.

I had no inkling of $.global.evt and couldn't find it in the docs. What is it? The single active event of any type?

You've also shown me that you can pass a File to the app.eventlisteners.add method! It is documented but I've never noticed. Is that the reason that a persistent engine is not required? Amazing.

One strange thing: both myself and @sttk3 shows app.modalState == true even when the script succeeds without the modal dialog error. Edit: to report further, I had to remove the app.modalState == true conditional and code in your demo script or the test never succeeded (except in a single case of invoking the legacy New Document Dialog for which Preview checkbox was already checked—this is what you referred to: that the document is created before the modal dialog)

As for a workaround to the problems, would it be reasonable to continue the DOM-modifying code in an IdleTask that removes itself after performing once? EDIT: after trying this out, it seems that adding an IdleTask triggers the same modal state error. 😞

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, I was going to post an idle task example that seems to work but haven't had a the chance to test in different situations.  What did you set the sleep parameter to? My quick test failed with 10ms, but worked with 100ms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, that's interesting. My test failed on the call to app.idleTasks.add, before adding an event listener to the new IdleTask. It threw the same error when a modal dialog was present.

So you have got it working even when using the "new" New Document Dialog? If so, I'd love to try your demo script.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s still intermitent when I toggle Preview on an off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Oh well. At least we've explored the problem and I understand a lot more now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines