• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extracting text strings based on Character Styles

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the TOC function to generate lists for other uses. I put a blank document at the end of the .indb and have it generate based on Paragraph Styles. This gives me useful extracts of things like whatever I need that has a style applied. Works great, then dump the temp file.

Presently I'm working on a book that has a lot of references to other books (about 100), to which I've applied an Italics-based Character Style separate from the usual Italics, though it looks the same. I'd like to extract a list of the books which is why I want to use the TOC function on Character Styles. Alas, ID doesn't do it on Character Styles.

Maybe there's another way to do this?

dr

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave:

You might want to take a look at IndexMatic: Indiscripts :: IndexMatic.​ You can use it to generate a list based on character styles.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb. You are so quick and helpful. I'm looking at it right now and I'll see if I can use it.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny! …

Re: Can I generate a TOC from a character style?

Why indicate Steve Werner's answer as correct in this case some hours ago?

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, Steve Werner was correct--InDesign does not have that capability built in. (Interestingly, QuarkXPress can build lists from character tags...)

Barb's response, equally correct, was for a third-party utility (costing about $48 US for the Pro version).

The OP could try this script first, although I don't know if it is compatible with the latest InDesign:

InDesign: Index from character styles | Peter Kahrel

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, IDEAS-Training.

Michel: As we all know, InDesign does not generate a TOC from character styles as a default, but when the question came up for the second time today I did a little research and found IndexMatic.

It sure looks like it would take care of this. However, I was waiting for Dave to let us know if it does the trick before heading back over to add a note to the other thread. Since that seems to be of concern, I'll head over now and add it anyway.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look everyone, please. This only the 3rd time I've posted a question on this Forum.

I didn't realize that this same question came up on different threads. Mine I suppose. Sorry about the 2nd time today.

This is why I post.To find answers to things I don't understand. I thank you all for you indulgence.

To ideas training thanks for taking a few minutes on my behalf!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries, Dave. Managing duplicates is part of our job—and I'm the one who didn't catch it this morning. Keep asking your questions, we are here to help.

And let us know if anything we suggested works for you, or if you figure out something else on your own.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines