• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Faint outlines around image cutouts

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting faint outlines showing around image cutouts in InDesign. They are visible on screen and after exporting to pdfs of low and high qualities.

How do I stop this please?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Hopefully, the attached page will show what I mean

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Hi @steveb41091698 You have placed the semley 030622 b.jpg image twice with the top version in a cut out path to create the silo. The path’s fill is set to [Black], try setting it to [None]. You did not include the image file for us to download, but I can see the effect of the [Black] fill with the image missing:

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Rob has got it.

Just to describe WHY this is happening.... Your top object has an unecessary black fill; this creates a new object in the stacking order, so when it's rendered, your background image is rendered first, then the black object (i.e. the errant fill), then the cutout image on top of that. Since you are rendering for the screen/exporting PDFs at a lower resolution, the edges of each object are anti-aliased so there's a fringe of semi-transparent pixels around each, hence the "Black" f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are stitching lines. To avoid them use PDF/X-4 for import and Export. 
They are only visible on screen and when antialiasing for vectors in the preferences is active. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Willi. Where do I find the antialiasing option in InDesign, and will turning it off affect anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is found in Acrobat Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I don't think stitiching should be showing up in the .indd, and second, if what I think you are referring to is correct, that looks like a photoshop path. Are there multiple layers in the image? Does the content of one of the layers correspond to that shape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Peter, this is my query. Why are they showing up in the .indd? They are not Photoshop cutouts. I simply create the cutout in InDesign with the pen tool, then copy the main image and paste into the cutout, then remove the main image. Is this the wrong way to do it?

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they have a stroke color applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Willi, it looks like you have a stroke applied.

Can yiou share a sample file for examination?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No stroke applied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to see a sample file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, the attached page will show what I mean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @steveb41091698 You have placed the semley 030622 b.jpg image twice with the top version in a cut out path to create the silo. The path’s fill is set to [Black], try setting it to [None]. You did not include the image file for us to download, but I can see the effect of the [Black] fill with the image missing:

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob has got it.

Just to describe WHY this is happening.... Your top object has an unecessary black fill; this creates a new object in the stacking order, so when it's rendered, your background image is rendered first, then the black object (i.e. the errant fill), then the cutout image on top of that. Since you are rendering for the screen/exporting PDFs at a lower resolution, the edges of each object are anti-aliased so there's a fringe of semi-transparent pixels around each, hence the "Black" fill's edge shows through the edge of the top object, giving you the grey fringe.

Like so:

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 4.14.29 PM.png

 

Remove the Black background, and all will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fantastic. Thanks so much... that did it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines