• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find/Change text + glyph in CS6, perhaps using InDesign GREP?

Contributor ,
May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are trying to check for errors in a dictionary and wonder if it's possible to use Find/Change to search for a letter (for example, A) in Arial that is attached to a glyph (wingding) and replace it with A-space-glyph.

A second search would be for a glyph (wingding) attached to a letter in Arial and replace it with the wingding glyph-space-letter. See screenshot with an example for each of these Find/Change functions

If this is possible, please give detailed info and perhaps even a screenshot. . If we can get it to work, we would go through the alphabet (new searches for each letter). I read about InDesign GREP and wonder if this might be the way to do it.Find Replace glyph letter.png

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

GREP sounds complicated and risky for our situation. We have proofread the book 3 times and think the glyph/spacing issue is about 98% correct. We were wondering if there's an easy way to give it a final check.

Not really, with the text formatting you've chosen. The three-step process is not particularly difficult and would cost nothing to try — on a copy of your work file/s, of course.

A potentially simpler approach would be to replace all instances of the glyph with [space][glyph][space],

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMVHO, stripping double spaces, return-space and space-return combinations is an essential late/last stage cleanup for publication. (Also space-tab and tab-space, and for meticulously formatted work, multiple tabs and returns.)

By @James Gifford—NitroPress

I think it always should be the first / initial step? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct: all that stripping should be done as a first or early stage in formatting an imported manuscript. To leave those in place means a lot of work will be 'fragile' if not wasted.

I meant that it should be repeated at or near the end to catch all such glitches that creep in from editing and formatting. I always catch a few. 🙂

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMVHO, stripping double spaces, return-space and space-return combinations is an essential late/last stage cleanup for publication. (Also space-tab and tab-space, and for meticulously formatted work, multiple tabs and returns.)

By @James Gifford—NitroPress

Agree.  I have a list we used for an earlier edition that didn't use a glyph/unicode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh was just looking at doing both at the same time

But you can't. 

I even applied character styles to the letters and it swaps the character styles.

That seems like very unwanted buggy behaviour. 

By @Eugene Tyson

No, it's not a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's not. Just seems that way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines