• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First run on Windows after install: [cursing removed] is this?

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed InDesign on my wife's Windows 11 computer so she can do some church bulletins, and when she first runs it, she gets this screen that has zero indication of what it is, what it's for, or what needs to be done. 

Can anyone enlighten us as just just what in the heck this is/means? 

IMG_4344.jpeg

Utter UX fail (adobe? Microsoft? Who knows? I'm a Mac user, and have never seen this)

for not providing any actual text, tooltips, or even a *shred* of context as to what this is. Forcefully terminating InDesign and restarting makes it go away, but... [cursing removed] ?  

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

It is most definitely NOT a resolution issue...it is InDesign't touch interface which is very simple to turn off by switching workspaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BobLevine said: "… which is very simple to turn off by switching workspaces."

Sometimes it's not that simple. I made the experience that InDesign was completely unresponsive the first time after installing it when showing the Touch workspace on a laptop with Windows 11. What helped was to kill the process and start up a second time. But I had to go hrough that "tutorial" from A to Z ( what's new etc.pp. ) at start-up and finally I was able to switch the workspace.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think there's any question that a new install should not start up in touch mode. At all. No matter what device it's installed on. The user should have to select touch mode as a manual step. Auto-detect, aka "let's outguess the user," is a bad engineering choice here.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines