• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix CS3's Print Booklet !!

New Here ,
May 05, 2007 May 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Print Booklet feature in InDesign CS3 is a step backward!

CS2's InBooklet could create a new document. I BADLY need that feature, as I must print odd spreads in landscape mode, but even numbered spreads in reverse landscape mode.

Having to export/print to PDF, then rotate the pages in Acrobat and print from there is unnecessarily cumbersome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 152 Replies 152
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2008 Jan 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using CS 3 on Windows after using CS 2 on my Mac. My problem is I can't see how to print odd and even pages only, the way I printed from InBooklet. The option is not available using the spreads option but I don't see how I can create and print a booklet (so that there are essentially four pages on one A4 paper, two in front and two in back) without spreads. I just tried installing Booklet CE 3.5 from the link above but when I choose it on the File menu it says it does not exist (even tho I followed the directions on the ReadMe file). Sorry for betraying my rookie status. I just can't figure out how to solve these issues... Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2008 Jan 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

The odd/even functionality is gone because you are not working with a new document whose new pages are the old spreads. I'm presuming you used this to print two sides manually on a non-duplex printer.

Work around this by printing to PDF first, then print odd/even from Acrobat.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Try running Booklet CE 3.5 from the Scripts Panel instead of the File menu.

Let me know if you have problems,

stephen@carlsenenterprises.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to both Peter and Stephen. I see that Stephen's solution works and will look into printing PDFs as well (I had gathered there might be some issues with quality with that route). Yes, I print two sides manually for students and to test the market for my readers.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,
I have the same problem as John. I'm okay with Print Booklet until I get to the point where I don't have the option to print odd or even pages. So when you say print first to PDF, do you mean print to PDF thru Print Booklet, or do you mean export to PDF? I printed to PDF with Print Booklet, but when it's complete, it just puts it on hold in my print que. How do I get it into Acrobat? Walk me thru this if you don't mind.
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mwc97,

Printing to PDF requires the PDF virtual printer that is installed as part of Acrobat, and which should show up in the list of installed printers.

When you use it you select it, like any other printer, but instead of sending the file to output on paper media you should be presented with a Save As dialog asking where you want to save the file and what you want to name it. You should also see a settings dialog where you can make adjustments to things like compression and color output.

Once the file is saved Acrobat normally opens on its own with the file ready for viewing.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,
I know how to do all that you've suggested, because I export to PDF's on a daily basis. But when I print to PDF thru Print Booklet, I don't get the Save As box. It just sends it directly to my print que, and puts it on hold. I only get the Save As box if I export it as a PDF, but then I don't have the option to imposition it to printer spreads.
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>It just sends it directly to my print que,

Which print queue? When you right click on the PDF printer in the printers folder and select properties, what do you see for the port, and for the driver, which is under the advanced tab?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have had problems with InBooklet. I was told that the plugin was bought out by Quark and we wouldn't see it in this version. In my field this feature was critical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out what I was doing wrong. In Print Booklet, after clicking on Printer Settings, I was clicking on Adobe PDF 8.0 instead of PostScript file under the printer options. Once I chose PostScript file, I was then able to open it in Acrobat and print my odd/even pages. Just never had to do it this way before, so was a little confused. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2008 Feb 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had InDesign CS3 configured in Tiger so I could Print to PDF using Print Booklet and it worked great. It would ask me to name and save the file. I haven't been able to get it configured in Leopard to work the same way. I am able to do it the PostScript file method but then I have to distill it. When I try to use Adobe PDF 8.0 as the Printer and driver, it just pauses in my Printer spooler and I can't get it to finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2008 Feb 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Saunders, "Fix CS3's Print Booklet !!" #91, 15 Jan 2008 3:25 am

Hello,
Can anyone explain the installation process for this script? I tried copying it to the scripts folder but I don't see it in any of IDCS3 menus.

Thanks.

dgman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Saunders, "Fix CS3's Print Booklet !!" #91, 15 Jan 2008 3:25 am

Hello,
Can anyone explain the installation process for this script? I tried copying it to the scripts folder but I don't see it in any of IDCS3 menus.

Thanks.

dgman

Sorry for the double post. Computer crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should go in:

Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 5.0/Scripts/Scripts Panel/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For windows it would be C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\Version 5.0\Scripts\Scripts Panel

This is a hidden directory, so you would need to show hidden files first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2008 Feb 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, Dave thanks a whole lot. Sorry I didn't specify the platform (Mac) but good to know the same for PC side. I only came back to check the forum today. Didn't know I would get an answer in the space of minutes yesterday. Newbie :-(

Cheers,

dgman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2008 Feb 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Didn't know I would get an answer in the space of minutes yesterday.

That's pretty common, but not always the case. You can subscribe to your own posts, as well as any others that interest you, and you'll receive notification whenever something new is added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2008 Mar 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not sure if this post was covered here or belongs in this forum or not but here goes... Is there a script written to do "n-up" pages using CS3? I need to print several 8.5"X11" pages 2-up on 11"X17". Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2008 Mar 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

Re you talking about printing 2-up of the same page, or two consecutive pages, or two imposed pages?

PrintBooklet, and the scripts already mentioned can handle imposed and/or consecutive 2-up. For n-up of the same image I place a single copy on the larger page size and use step & repeat to add and position as many more as I need (You need two passes to do multiple columns and multiple rows on the same sheet). I'm sure it could be scripted to do two-up for a multipage document, but I don't have one. If you search the regular ID forum, not here in Feature requests, or ask in the scripting forum you may find someone has already posted or will write one.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Booklet CE script, http://products.carlsenenterprises.com. And let me know if you have any problems with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Yes, I would like to print 2-up of the same page of a multi-page document. It would seem Step & Repeat would be the ideal choice but I would like it to happen auto-magically. 🙂

Thanks,
Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

I downloaded and installed your "Booklet CE script" and didn't see any options for n-up printing of the same page. Any ideas?

-Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, yes. My other posted script, BusinessCards CE, should do what you want. BusinessCards CE essentially just does a fancy step-and-repeat of a page onto a new, larger page, with any number of rows and columns. There are no restrictions on the size of the original page -- in particular, it doesn't have to be Business Card sized. You probably just want 1 row and 2 columns. If you want printer marks, gaps between pages, etc, those are options, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Thanks BusinessCards CE serves my purpose. I just try this script with InDesign CS3 and it works like a charm. Perhaps you should have named it N-UP Utility :-? Just a thought...

Thanks,
Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2008 Mar 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Booklet CE 3., but when I try to use it, all I get is 40 spreads all with page 1 on them. I must be doing something really stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines