• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed Frame Ratio

Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to define a fixed frame ratio when drawing a frame, like 3:2, 4:3, 16:9 etc.?

Thanks,

Otto

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Hi @mopperle:

The Alt key is the Window's equivalent to the Option key on a Mac, but you don't need it to follow Rob's suggestion. If you select the Rectangle Frame Tool or the Rectangle Tool, and simply click on an empty page you'll get the dialog box asking what size frame you want. Using my example from earlier, you can type in 2" x 3", and then go from there.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but you could draw a frame that is, for example, 3 in by 2 in, and then scale up or down with the Shift key, or by adjusting the Scale X or Y Percentage value with the Link icon activated. 

Thinking about the possible workflow, Photoshop does allow you to set the ratio when cropping, so another idea would be to crop your images in Photoshop to the desired ratio, place the image in InDesign and use Ctr/Cmd+Shift to resize the frame and content, maintaining the pre-defined aspect ratio.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb, that's how I did it currently, but it would be easier to define a ratio when drawing a frame. I do not crop pthe pictures I insert, they have all the same ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Otto, if you select one of the frame tools and Option-Click the page you will get a dialog where you could set the dimensions to 3x2. Then you could Command-Shift drag a corner to constrain the aspect ratio, or scale uniformly via the Transform panel:

Screen Shot 14.pngScreen Shot 16.png

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, but I do not get the thing with the Option-Click, maybe because working under Windows ???

I'm not so familiar with Indesign, made my photo books with other tools so far, but now reaching their limits, I want to switch to Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have the rectangle tool selected before you Option click the page. See the Tool panel in my capture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you could script the aspect ratio. This would set the height of a selection so its aspect ratio is 3:2. Change 2/3 to 9/16 to get 16:9 etc.

var ar = 2/3; 
var s=app.activeDocument.selection[0]; 
var b = s.geometricBounds;
var w = b[3]-b[1]
var h = w * ar
s.geometricBounds = [b[0], b[1], b[0]+h, b[3]];

Screen Shot 17.png

After running the script

Screen Shot 18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mopperle:

The Alt key is the Window's equivalent to the Option key on a Mac, but you don't need it to follow Rob's suggestion. If you select the Rectangle Frame Tool or the Rectangle Tool, and simply click on an empty page you'll get the dialog box asking what size frame you want. Using my example from earlier, you can type in 2" x 3", and then go from there.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you. Will also try the scripting methode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Otto,

can be done:

First of all you need an object style with a fixed width and height that has the right ratio. Like 160 mm x 90 mm for example for 16:9. Draw out a frame and apply the object style. Or make that object style the default first and then draw out a frame. Automatically is sized 160 x 90 mm.

To scale the frame proportionally you can use the percentage input fields and type in a new width or height. For this use the new numbers plus the measurement unit like e.g. 150 mm. Or if you want to scale the frame with the Selection Tool by dragging a corner point, simply hold the Shift key to maintain the ratio of 16:9.

Download a sample InDesign document where I defined an object style as the default one for graphic frames with a ration 16:9. Inspect the style and draw out a frame:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/poi2k98g6k8co74/FixedRatioGraphicFrame-Default-16to9-2022.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines