• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Floating layout InDesign

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When inserting an extra page somewhere (not at the end) in InDesign, all items are moved to the next page. The page layout, however, stays. Is there a possibility to move the layout with the objects when inserting an extra page?

More specific: we make a catalog with 3 possible layouts for each page. Every layout can be left or right page, but objects in the page are related to the layout. The layout is a couple of rectangles, and images are placed in the rectangles. When inserting a new page, all object are moved one page down. The layout, however, doesn't. So images are floating around outside the rectangles. Is it possible to have the layout moved when inserting a page?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can figure out a weay to make all of rthese objects Anchored Objects you can take advantage of the ability to align them relative to the spine, but otherwise, no way I can think of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By page layout, are you referring to the parent page items?

If so, have they been overridden?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created three layouts in the upper right screen (see attached), all individually made, without copying. So I have A-stramien left page, A-stramien right page and B-stramien left page. Dragged them on the pages below and made the complete folder, 62 pages. Then inserted a new page after page 13. Al objects moved one page up, but layouts didn't. So items on the former page 13 are now on 14, but the layout of 14 remains

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm a little dense... Your text does not seem to match the screen capture. Perhaps it's the terminology.

When you say (type) "layouts", are you referring to Parent pages? 

What parent page did you insert after page 13: A or B?

This is what should happen when you add a single page to an existing layout:

The pages and content should shuffle. (I copies what you appear to have on your screen capture.)

2022-07-31_12-10-28.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's the terminology, my Indesign-version is Dutch, so I might translate wrong. Yes, I meant the parent pages. But your video cleared a lot. I thought I could only drag parent pages on existing pages, but your video shows I can drag behaind an existing page, to create a new one. That already helps a lot and solves the problem I had. But now a new problem occurs: in your video you insert a new page A after two pages A. The first page B follows the third (new) page A in a spread and the second page B becomes a single page. When I insert a new page A it creates a new single page A, followed by 2 pages B in a spread. I think it's some kind of setting that I can't find?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Pages panel menu to see if Allow Document Pages to Shuffle or Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle are turned off. Generally, you keep them on if you want your pages to flow into a typical 2-page layout publication.

image.png

(I've always said they should be named "require" pages to shuffle, not "allow".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, but both are on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see any brackets around your existing spreads?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, on several pages... not at all pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means those spreads are locked together and won't split apart--useful for graphics and text that jumps the gutter.  Either let them split, move your pages around, or add two pages at a time (tip: if you drag from the parent page name, you will add two pages at once).

2022-07-31_13-08-10.gif

To let them split, select the spread and turn on Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!!! We're a lot further on the road now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines