• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font not Available in Indesign, But is available everywhere else

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm completely at a loss about this. The font Milo OT (.otf format) is not available for use in Indesign, but works in Word and Illustrator. It doesn't seem to matter what fix I try, nothing is working. I'm using a Mac on Monterey and everything is up to date. I've tried:

Installing the font with font book.

Dragging the font in to my user fonts folder.

Dragging the font in to the system (I think) font folder.

Dragging the font into Indesign's own font folder.

and Installing it through Creative Cloud.

I have also tried to install a different version.

I have spent too many hours searching for a solution, is there any chance its conflicting with something directly in Indesign? I didn't have this problem on my old computer and no one else in the company seems to be having the same problem. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi All,

We appreciate your patience. The issue is fixed with the latest InDesign version (17.2.1). Please update InDesign to the latest version and see if that helps.

If you still experience the issue on the 17.2.1 version, then please try resetting the preferences. It will fix the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it *just possibly* being sorted to an odd location in the list? That is, not among the M's? Some fonts sort by a foundry name (ITC Eras can show up under I or under E) and I have had fonts show up in non-alpha locations for inexplicable reasons (internal name, I assume).

Probably not, but I thought I'd ask... especially in these days of dozens of "I don't really want those" fonts installed by OSes and apps.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no, they come up as missing, pink highlight and all 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene, Unfortunately, I tried this too and it didn't work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have exactly the same Problem with Milo OT and InDesign 2022 (it's fine in InDesign 2021). Unfortunately I haven yet found a solution to this – might be a bug in InDesign 2022?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stumbling upon the same problem, but now my InDesign (17.2) does not recognize any OpenType font anymore.

I tried uninstalling them, deleting every file related to them I could find, and every other solution listed above by Rebecca and Nelson and by others on the web, but nothing is working.

What's weird is that I updated InDesign as soon as the update appeared on the CC manager, so about 4 days ago, and up until yesterday afternoon everything was working properly.

I hope someone can share a solution to this, because for now it's just frustrating, but as soon as I get close to deadlines, it will become urgente.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly the same problem - anyone found a fix??? Aaargh!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to make it work by just renaming the Fonts that had issues, directly from the system Font folder. Weird.
Even weirder, the issue was hapening on my MyBookPro (M1 chip) and not on my iMac (Intel chip), on the same release of ID (17.2).

As our fella did, the only thing to do is going back to 17.01 release, meaning it's a bug from the 17.2 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, with Marselis (our corporate style font!) and Fontawesome (also one we use quite a bit).

I've de-/re-installed both Suitcase Fusion and Indesign, downgraded, tried to put fonts in all kinds of locations (the app folder, system folder, personal library), scanned for and deleted all kinds of preferences and caches, made new vaults, did safe reboots, resaved fonts and re-added to the Suitcase… (Mac OS 12.2.1, InDesign 17.2 and Suitcase Fusion 22.0.4), I really don't know what to do anymore and it's a matter of time until all my colleagues have the same problem (a couple already do).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime, try this - it seems to work for me if I export an .idml file and then open it in InDesign 2021... not ideal obviously as it adds significantly to the workflow, but at least I can work on the documents... not sure what I'm missing on 2021 to be honest... they need to make these constant updates actually functional as well as worthwhile... such a waste of everyones productivity!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Fontawesome too! Auuugh, I'll probably use RichardGrosse's solution below for now. So frustrating!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same here with the font California Jackpot. Available in Illustrator and other apps, not in InDesign.

Last week still used.

Very anoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I found a solution to this problem with the 17.2 version of Indesign.
So, I remove it, and installed the 17.0. instead.
Everything is fine now…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up going back to 17.0.1 (which resolved the issues with showing the correct ink percentages in Separations Preview) and that works as well. Too bad these Adobe clowns haven't figured out what the real issue is yet. I wonder if they'll reimburse us for all of the time we have all spent trying to workaround their sloppy code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a weird issue! I'm on Windows 10 and today I opened a file from 2019 that used Big Caslon Medium for a book cover title. InDesign said it was missing. I went through every hoop I know of to get that font to show up, but it wouldn't; but I grew suspicious when it was showing up fine in Word and Illustrator. So I did like you, went back to 17.01 and that font loads just fine. Is there somewhere to report this as a bug to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Report bugs or make a feature request

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with the Jackpot font.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up going back to 17.0.1 and it's working again. It's not a solution, Adobe needs to solve the problem, but back versioning is a bandaid for now 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have just discovered the same problem on my set-up. May I ask how you revert back to 17.01?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Creative Cloud app. See screenshot attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is the problem. I return to 17.01 version and it's working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue! And I've only solved it - temporarily - by downgrading to v16.4. I've tried all suggested solutions. Here is my initial report. I hope the issue will get upvoted and fixed shortly!

-----

Originally posted here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/fonts-quot-missing-quot-in-indesign-version-17-2...

I run Windows 10. Today I updated my Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro) to the latest versions and found that in InDesign - and only in InDesign - one* of my installed fonts were listed as "missing" when I tried to load the documents I had been working on previously.

The font is not in the Typekit or the Adobe cloud font library. It's a bespoke font bought directly from the designers: https://vj-type.com/12-sud

The font is obviously installed in the Windows Font folder, so I tried re-installing it. No difference. Then I started troubleshooting. I copied the font to the Common --> Adobe --> Font folder. I tried clearing the Adobe font cache by deleting ALL instances of "adobefnt*.lst"-files. I uninstalled and re-installed InDesign. I downloaded the Adobe Cleaner Tool and scrubbed InDesign from my computer. I manually deleted all folders and files that had to do with InDesign in the Program Files and App Data folders, and I used CCleaner to remove all junk and clean up the registry between each (and there were many) reboots of the computer.

Nothing helped. The font was still missing in InDesign, but present in all other programs (e.g. Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Word). I downgraded to version 17.1. Didn't help.

Then I downgraded to InDesign version 16.4 (i.e. the 2021 version), and NOW the font is no longer missing and I can use it like previously. WTF!

So this is me submitting this a bug for version 17.2 of InDesign for Windows (well, mine at least).

*I found out later that it was more than one font that went missing, but I didn't check all the fonts in the Windows Font folder. Suffice to say, since it was more than one font - e.g. this bespoke one: https://vj-type.com/11-nord - it seems that it's a program / coding error, possibly connected to TypeKit or cloud font sync?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martijn Busink said:

"Same here, with Marselis (our corporate style font!) and Fontawesome (also one we use quite a bit)."

Hi Martijn,

just tested Font Awesome OTF font styles with InDesign versions 16.4.0.55, 17.1.0.50 and Prerelease 17.2.0.18.

All the named versions of InDesign are installed side by side on my German Windows 10 machine.

Found no issues to access Font Awesome 6 Free Regular, Font Awesome 6 Free Solid and Font Awesome 6 Brand Regular when I provide the OTF font files with a Document fonts folder.

Source of the font files:

https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome

What is your version of Font Awesome that does not work with InDesign 17.2 ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the Pro version of Fontawesome but more importantly: we're on Mac OS's. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines