• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame edge highlighting

Contributor ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new feature in InDesign CS5 is Frame edge highlighting. I find it quite annoying and can't find a way to disable it... anyone know how?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 200 Replies 200
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scale tool center-point and selection changes have drastically changed the way I work and slowed me down considerably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2010 Aug 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. How can i remove myself from this thread. Every message is in reply to ukdesign.

Over the last few days ive been flooded with emails even on my mobile late in the night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2010 Aug 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revisit the fourm and this thread and Select Stop Email Notifications.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree!

One thing i must mention is even if you dont use layers, dont have a very complex design, are not bothered about selections...

Its bloody annoying seeing flashing blue squares every time i move the mouse!

And this is even when nothing is selected. It drives me mad!

Talking about clunky apps - indesign takes ages to open. Longer than a few years ago indesign 1 on an old mac! Really thats discusting for 2010.

This is what you get when they churn out apps and it really doesnt matter to them if they dont quite work, as they have the monopoly.

What apps do now is remarkable, and we can do some amazing stuff, but we really shouldnt have to make do with nearly finished apps when we part with hard earned cash.

Maybe in we put indesign in a case it will stop the highlighting!

Free case adobe? Lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Its bloody annoying seeing flashing blue squares every time i move the mouse!

And this is even when nothing is selected. It drives me mad!

And even when "Hide Frame Edges" is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben Frey wrote:

The main issue for me is that it has changed the selection behavior. (either that, or they have changed the selection behavior and it just so happens to seem like frame edge highlighting is causing the change).

In fact, that's exactly what happened. Selection behavior was changed so that if you select a hidden or partially hidden object you can move it without having to find its center point. This takes some getting used to, but was something that MANY users wanted, and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with edge highlighting. To select another object in the stack you must either Cmd (Ctrl) clcik your way through the stack or click an area outside the currently selected object, whcih to my mind is actually rather intuitive, unlike the old behavior where if you selected an object and it was behind something else, clicking anywhere except the exact center of that object changed your selection to the top object and you ended up moving the wrong thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've long since uninstalled InDesign CS5, so I can't see for myself: Is there an option in the preferences for setting the color of frame edges like there is for margins and guides? If so, would it be a reasonable feature request to ask for an opacity slider for frame edges instead of demanding they change the frame edge behavior back to the way it was? That way, the frame edges would still highlight, albeit invisibly if you had them set to 0% opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the color of the layer.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add my voice to the cacophony of people who hate that there's no way to turn off this new feature!

For the record - I agree that it can be most useful, but needs an option on the View menu to turn it on/off when I need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two By Two wrote:

Please add my voice to the cacophony of people who hate that there's no way to turn off this new feature!

For the record - I agree that it can be most useful, but needs an option on the View menu to turn it on/off when I need it.

Amplify your cacophone by entering a formal feature enhancement request at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the recent InDesign update was just for bug fixes... hopefully in a later update they will consider adding the option to disabled this annoying "feature".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't like it, this is the last place to vent.

Use the feature request link that has been mentioned already.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, and several other people, have probably already sent a feature request. The problem with the feature request "solution" is that:

1. There is no feedback.

2. There is no public record of your request, so nobody else who has the same problem will figure out that they are not alone.

3. I know from personal experience that using the Bug Report and Feature Request forms is about as useless as going to the closest mountaintop and screaming your request into outer space.

I have submitted the SAME set of 4-5 bugs in every version of InDesign since CS2, most of them multiple times through the months and years that I am working on that version, begging someone to fix them. The two most common (for me), just for an example, are the text color selection bug in tables, and the delete unused swatches crash bug. Also since they introduced hyperlinks (don't remember which CSx.0 that was, maybe CS2?) there has been a really annoying crash bug caused by trying to add the "first" hyperlink to a document that only happens 20-30% of the time, but crashes instantly when it happens.

If the Feature Request/Bug Report function had any track record of being helpful or useful, then you probably wouldn't get these long, rambling threads with lots of people coming in and complaining, because there would be a perception that using these forms was an exercise in extreme futility. At least when you come to the Adobe forums and start a topic complaining about something that isn't right, there is a public record of your issue. People can find it on Google and lend their support, or possibly offer solutions/work-arounds if they exist.

Yes, there are lots of pointless posts on this thread that might be annoying to see in your inbox if you're subscribed. Luckily Adobe did provide you with a nice Feature (and you didn't even have to file a Request!), called unsubscribe. I seem to see a lot of "just file a feature request" comments in the thread, too. If you are tired of getting emails of people saying "me too! I have this problem!" then imagine how annoying it is to get the same "file a feature request and go away" comments over and over for those of us who actually want to talk about this issue! If a moderator locks this thread or Adobe deletes it Apple-style, then we'll stop talking about it. Otherwise, if you disagree, say your peace and move on. You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to, and you run the risk of sounding like an iPhone zealot in an Android forum if you keep parroting the same response over and over to a question that wasn't even really directed your way.

Also, would you guys rather get big meaty posts like this, or 1-liners?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, my point was that you'll get more attention from the people who can do anything with the feature request than you will here. That link was meant to be helpful. If you took it any other way, I apologize.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I wasn't offended by your posts at all. Sorry if it sounded that way. I just don't believe that posting a feature request will do any good at all, for the reasons I outlined above. The fact that there is no other way to "be heard" just means that there really isn't any way to be heard at all.

Adobe doesn't "owe" me this because they are a company and they make a product, and I'm not forced to use it (except that I've spent my entire adult life building a set of skills based around an industry completely and totally beholden to their monopoly, of course). I suppose I could go to culinary school. But somewhat ironically, that won't feed my 3 young children or pay my mortgage, so I have to "deal."

I appreciate that the Feature Request form is the "proper" way to express this, but it has been linked to 5 times in this thread alone, and I just don't think saying that again really does anything except irk the people who are here. Would you post in a 9/11 Survivors thread about how it's all our fault for voting in politicians in the 1980s who funded the taliban against the soviets? OK, so maybe not the best analogy, and certainly this isn't a big deal in the greater sense of the word. It's a minor annoyance that came along unexpectedly, and most of those who are annoyed by it have no real choice in the matter.

Also, please consider that you can't ask us to stop complaining about it on this forum and then say this:

BobLevine wrote:

The very fact that very few people are complaining should tell you that you might just in the vast minority...

You sort of made my point for me. If every single user of CS5 submitted a Feature Request to Adobe, and made no other noise about this request, then Adobe would have millions of identical Feature Requests, and you would still have been able to say that I was in the vast minority if I posted this thread.

For all I know, 90% the half-million-plus CS5 users have submitted a Feature Request, and Adobe has just decided not to pay attention. It's happened before (the full-screen toggle in Photoshop CS4). They didn't fix THAT until you bought CS5.

I think most of us have come to expect every new release of the CS to offer one or two killer features that we couldn't ever live without, and a handful of suicide-inducing changes that are completely and totally counterproductive to a large group of people. Ring a bell and I'll salivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

You can choose to believe me or choose not to, but I know for a fact those feature requests do get looked at...and the more times it appears, the more attention it gets.

As for 9/11, I was in those buildings and worked for a firm that lost more 300 people so I find it rather offensive to even compare that to this.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my goodness ben, you've got less work to do than me today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, you're right. I am waiting for a spreadsheet that is VERY late coming to me, and I don't want to start another project because that one's too important. I was supposed to have it 2 hours ago.

Anyway, Bob, sorry you're offended. Care to guess how many people I know who died serving in Iraq because our government invaded them in revenge for 9/11? Nevermind. Sorry I brought that up at all. Unrelated. But you see how two different people could see the same situation so differently depending on their perspective alone, and to say nothing of their moral or ethical "justness"?

Eugene, nice list.

I want to offer a suggestion for a way to deal with item 23 in a work-around fashion: use GREP styles.

If you need more details on how you could manage this, let me know, but if you think about it for a bit I think you'll see where I'm going. Your idea would be must faster/easier, but it is possible to automate somewhat with GREP styles if you're just looking to change the text color, or willing to use Paragraph Rules in a fairly creative way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That jobs obviously paying better than the job I'm doing at the moment!

If I have 2 hours twiddling my thumbs, another client kidnaps me and forces me to do things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben Frey wrote:

<split>

Eugene, nice list.

I want to offer a suggestion for a way to deal with item 23 in a work-around fashion: use GREP styles.

If you need more details on how you could manage this, let me know, but if you think about it for a bit I think you'll see where I'm going. Your idea would be must faster/easier, but it is possible to automate somewhat with GREP styles if you're just looking to change the text color, or willing to use Paragraph Rules in a fairly creative way!

It's not a workaround - it's how it works. If you want to have say 10 sections in a magazine. And you want to colour each section differently. You have to create the Master Page - add the headers and folios and apply the colour to the folio and the header. Then say you want to have pull quotes in each section that are the same colour as that section.

Ok you can go ahead and make umpteen different styles for your text. But I want to apply a colour from the Paragraph Style that says "Master Page Colour". Then in the Master Page you select a colour and that is applied to the text, folios etc.

Let's take 2 sections with 2 styles, to make it simple.

Master A

Heading = char colour 376, 16/18 Arial

Pull Quote = char colour 376, 14/16 Futura

Master B

Heading = char colour 299, 16/18 Arial (now you have a + in the style)

Pull quote = char colour 299, 14/16 Futura (again a + in the style.

Ok I could go ahead and make GREP styles, nested styles etc. but that's a lot of work say for 15 styles, over 10 sections (you're looking at 135 overrides)

Rather than that

Master Page A = 376

Heading = char colour "Master", 16/18

Pull Quote = char colour "Master", 14/16 Futura

Master Page B  = 299

Heading = char colour "Master", 16/18

Pull Quote = char colour "Master", 14/16 Futura

Now you won't have any overrides, as you're setting the Master Page to have the master colour. So whatever is used in the Master Page would be used in the Paragraph Style.

To me, that's a very simple idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only have 10 sections, you could set up 10 character styles (which would just be named by the section or color or whatever) that only change the character color. Then set up 10 GREP style changes that apply your character styles based on whatever the unique variable is for each chapter (I'm assuming that this would involve a paragraph style for the chapter heads, as well). If you set it up correctly, you would need Styles x 2n number of styles to automate the whole thing. No overrides should be necessary, though, if your GREP is set up right and you have everything styled.

I completely agree with your suggestion of a master page color as a concept. I wonder about limitations of usefulness, though. What if you want more than one of these? Where do they live? It seems like a function similar to "Text Variables" for colors would be the best solution, that way you're not arbitrarily tied to Master Pages, and your colors have somewhere specific to "live." That would open up a whole can of possibilities, too, when you consider how Text Variables work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've setup files like that in the past. And even more complex than that.

The idea could be expanded to have colour schemes for each Master Page, then assign a paragraph style to each colour

Master Page Options>

"swatch" = heading 1

"swatch" = heading 2

"swatch" = "create new paragraph style"

etc.

It might even be an interesting way to use KULER panel or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben Frey wrote:

Bob, I wasn't offended by your posts at all. Sorry if it sounded that way. I just don't believe that posting a feature request will do any good at all, for the reasons I outlined above. The fact that there is no other way to "be heard" just means that there really isn't any way to be heard at all.

I've started a new thread, "Not being heard," in response to Ben's good point.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought to myself today... Are adobe running out of real features to add? So to justify the price of the update they:

1. Add bulk to slow the app down (so they can say cs 6 is optimise and flog us that upgrade later)

2. Add a couple of big useful features which they can shout about in marketing (and keep the most useful ones for the next release)

3. Add use odd annoying bugs so we all moan on forums and actually get the word out about their product and boost google traffic! (like iphone 4 signal)

my mac is top of the range and cs5 makes it sweat. With multi cores and the fastest most optisised osx ever we should see apps opening in 2 seconds, not over a minute like indesign on first launch (and some strange dock icon activity)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ukdesign1 wrote:

I thought to myself today... Are adobe running out of real features to add?

1. Footnotes spaning columns
  2. Variables that can run-on multiple lines
  3. Variable dates that you can increase by +1 or +2, like if you editing in March and sending for print, but it won't be done until April, you should be able to have a variable date increase so there is no need to update constantly.
  4. Sync Footnote Options through book panel
  5. Percentages for Paragraph Rule Above and Rule Below, i.e., instead of 10pt you insert 110% meaning that now matter how many lines the paragraph is that the rule is always 5% above and 5% below (or offset if you want)
  6. Saving back more than 1 version
  7. Allow chapters in a single file (not through sections so that you can use the Chapter feature instead of having to split small files into multiple files and use the book feature)
  8. Allow selecting of non-adjoing text (like Word can for so many years)
  9. Calculations in Tables.
  10. Table cells that split over frames, columns
  11. Scaling an image gives you the Actual and Effective PPI when Smart Guides are on (instead of percentage of scale or xy coords)
  12. Make the Background Tasks more accessible (there is an icon on the Menu Bar that flashes but you can't do anything with it?)
  13. Object>Clipping Path>Options for more than 1 photo (I often have up to 20 image with clipping paths and it's time consuming to go through the "Show Options" for each object (Jongware wrote me a script to fix this)
  14. Allow printing of Tracked Changes
  15. When you use the page tool to resize a page it becomes detached from the page adjacent
  16. Inside bleeds (it can be done manually or with a script but it can be time consuming)
  17. Spreads Option in File>Export>PDF (Interactive)
  18. Option for turning on and off frame edge highlighting
  19. Smaller target for Content Grabber
  20. Transparency Icon for Pages Panel should be on by default (it's not)
  21. Action Panel (record actions)
  22. Smart Bullets (so that the first bullet Keeps with the next line and the last bullet keeps with the Previous bullet)
  23. Master Colours for sections (so that I can set a colour say Pantone 376 to the master page of a section, then I can set the Paragraph Style to use the master colour. That way I can use Multiple Master Pages, and whatever page that is applied to I can change the Master Page colour to change the colour in the paragraph style. Currently I have to create a master page, add the colours, styles etc. for each heading and folio, and then duplicate the master page and make the options again. Much handier to set the Master Page colour to Pantone 376, in the Paragraph Style choose Master Page colour. Then when I apply that master page to a page whatever Paragraph Style has that "Master Colour" selected in Character Colour, then it uses the colour I set up on the master page.

Ok it's home time now - but I'll keep working on this list

(I'm aware some of this is already accomplished with scripts etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines