• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient Banding in Indesign Displaying Wrong and Lines Everywhere

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all - I wondered is anyone is having the same issues but my gradients used to be super smooth and never had any issues now every time I create gradients I seem to have very disinctive banding and it often transfers over to jpegs too. Also does the same with the gradient feather tool too. 

This is becoming a majot problem for me now and holding up most of my projects.

What can I do - is there a fix for this glitch? TIA 

banding.jpg

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off GPU Performance in InDesign preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that but I don't have that option in my preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Bill's suggestion, another option you may want to consider would be to create your gradient as an Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop graphic and placing it in your InDesign document. It's an extra step, but it does produce good results.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having major issues with gradients - even feathered edges too - can anyone make any suggestions for settings on InDesign on a PC? TIA 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As. Randy wrote, make it in Photoshop and add a small amount of noise to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the color mode(s) of the colors you are blending? Does the banding happen when you zoom in or out? If you export to PDF does AcrobatPro show the banding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are creating this for web or print?

like others have said, if the gradient is very important, I'd make it in illustrator or photoshop where I have more options to control the gradient, but InDesign is still okay.

You can swip-swap between GPU and CPU rendering under "VIEW" - it's the top option.

a tip for smooth gradients if you wish not to venture out of indesign is to use two gradients together, one just slight off from the other and blend it the way you see fit - this adds enough variation the make transitions easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that - I am on a PC and there is no option for that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It never goes away - this only happened when I did a software update. It transfers to jpegs and PDFs too.

So frustrating.

Been using InDesign since it first came out and I have never had this issue before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an InDesign example along with the exported file that has the lines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
4 hours ago 4 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me, too! I think I found a fix, or at least a workaround. I noticed the faint stripes when two things were present: a shape with less than 100% opacity, and the view mode was "regular" or default. 

When I went to View > Overprint Preview, then the stripes went away, no matter if my graphic was 100% opacity or less.

It's definitely a weird bug. It never used to happen until a few weeks ago. Maybe the most recent update is the issue...? I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
3 hours ago 3 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a bug. It is caused by printing. That is why anyone should add noise to smooth colors or gradients as I have written in my answer 2 Years ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
10m ago 10m ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Banding of gradients is a printing thing. I know that. The issue the OP and I have is thin black lines — NOT banding — appearing in InDesign. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines