Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Heading and text in same line.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with indesign.  After heading can I continue to write text. When I try that, text also become  heading. 

I mean is it possible to do like this. Heading + text ( two styles in same line)

for example:

1.1.1. GENERAL WEHICLE  The aircraft consists of.............

not same example below

1.1.1. GENERAL WEHICLE

The aircraft consists of............

if someone help me I will be appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done using a nested style. Since your headings are not likely to all be the same number of words, you would need to insert a End Nested Style Here character at the end of your heading text in each line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using End Nested Style Here is a possibility, and probably the safest,. But there are two spaces after the heading so you can do a nested style that applies a character style up to a 2-space string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may also work in your Nested Style with "up to 2 Sentences" if there is a period after the heading, which would make sense to have. I tested it with various lengths of the numbering or words in the heading and it worked. Interesting that it sees the periods after the numbering as 1 sentence!

1. Create a paragraph style i.e., Mixed Text, for the regular sentence type as you like.

2. Create a new character style for the Heading Text with the font, size and color you desire.

3. In the Mixed Text paragraph style, in the Drop Caps and Nested Styles area, create a New Nested Style. Select the Heading Text style you created and change settings to "up to 2 Sentences."

Sample-984.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if there is a period after the heading, which would make sense to have

But headings typically don't have final periods, not even run-in headings. Usuallt there's an em-space between the heading and the text. The example above has two spaces, which is sometimes used as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Kahrel I only spent a minute on this but I couldn't get it to work with two spaces for some reason. So I used a period and one space and it worked instantly. What exactly is the nested style to use for two spaces?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has to be a Grep style:

PeterKahrel_0-1624993103021.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I didn't think it was a nested style as previously suggested. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Grep styles are neste styles, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter thank you for your comments.

Whatever I did I could not manage to do it. Every time text is seen as heading. I could not cut tie between heading and basic paragraph (text) so when I make Table of Contents, text is also drawn in TOC.

But I want (in same line after heading) to continue as basic paragraph (text).  

as example before; Heading+basic paragraph

1.1.1. GENERAL AIRCRAFT  (basic prg) This aircraft consists of.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to make the Grep expression more explicit:

^[\d.]+\s+[\u\h]+(?=\h\h)

which says: at the start of the paragraph (^) match a number that consists of digits and dots ([\d.]+), then match one or more spaces (\s+) followed by a title, which consists of upper-case letters and any spaces ([\u\h]+) followed by two spaces ((?=\h\h)). If the assumption of the two spaces after the title is not correct, leave that last bit out. It will mean that the space after the title is captured by the expression, which may or may not be a problem.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed they are, Peter! I made that comment myself once and was quickly corrected as to the "distinction of the right tool for the job," but then again, I often tell my husband that a knife is a screwdriver, too.

Kidding aside, hopefully, your full GREP expression for the paragraph and TOC styles will be perfect for @mister9090 and I've added it to my list in case it's ever needed so thank you once again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines