• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change text direction adobe indesign?

New Here ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am trying to format Arabic in InDesign CC. I have read several forums but I do not have the option to change the text direction in either the character panel or the paragraph panel.

Please help!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

YOu can keep it installed, they will be installed on the very same place. Inside the app package are additionally plugins installed. Although the program will launch in the language of the OS, but these plugins will be active in any localization when they have been installed.

It will beginn with a different new document, binding (Bindung here in German) is added:

New_Binding.png

The story can go in different directions:

story.png

Paragraphs have more options, like direction:

Paragraphs.png

And even a character string can change its directi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask in InDesign

This forum is about the Cloud as a delivery process, not about using individual programs

If you start at the Forums Index http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa

You will be able to select a forum for the specific Adobe product(s) you use

Click the "down arrow" symbol on the right (where it says ALL FORUMS) to open the drop down list and scroll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Indesign forum.

Regards,

Romit Sinha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In the creative cloud application you can choose the language of your applications. There are also English with Arabic and English with Hebrew support available. If you install those versions (you can additional install several language versions if you change the language and install it again). That will add some language specific plugins which will cause additional panels, menu entries, more options in dialog boxes and so on.

E.g. if you install Arabic, Hebrew, German, Asian and run later the German loc you will see those additional fuctionality in English in the German version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi,

Can I keep the different versions installed? Or will I have to uninstall and re-install every time I need to change languages?

Thank you,

Crystal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOu can keep it installed, they will be installed on the very same place. Inside the app package are additionally plugins installed. Although the program will launch in the language of the OS, but these plugins will be active in any localization when they have been installed.

It will beginn with a different new document, binding (Bindung here in German) is added:

New_Binding.png

The story can go in different directions:

story.png

Paragraphs have more options, like direction:

Paragraphs.png

And even a character string can change its direction:

Character.png

And as you see, even if I have a German Loc installed, some additional menus are still in English.

But there are a lot more menus, additional options in all styles, tables have also some linguistig and directional menus, and you will find a lot more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Willi,

I have installed the Creative cloude manager and then from preferences i choose  English support arabic but still in Indesign the character direction button didnt appear. What shall i do ? Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you need to go back to the Apps tab and download InDesign again to get the additional features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG  this is what is missed from all the articles about this issue no one said that you have to reinstall the app again to apply changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not REINSTALL, install ADDITIONAL. And I gave the correct answer in my very fist post above here in this thread. It was written more than 2 Years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to help me out? The option for changing direction of text doesn't appear in my Paragraph (Absatz) panel... Getting a bit desperate now. Everybody seems to have this, but me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to install ME version, from adobe cc desktop click on right top gear then select preferences>app languages, then select English support Arabic or English support Hebrew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean. When I open adobe cc desktop gear > preferences there is no 'app languages'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda Bruinenberg wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. When I open adobe cc desktop gear > preferences there is no 'app languages'?

Desktop CC App.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to click the Creative Cloud tab in the prefs....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it!

Selected Englisch Arabic, restarted Indesign but still no effect. Running out of options ánd time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install indesign that support arabic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! Got that one to. But as I mentioned; no result as I wished for. Indesign keeps ignoring the textdirection and those fancy textdirection buttons still don't show:

Schermafbeelding 2016-07-21 om 13.02.00.png

I rebooted Indesign and all. No result. It's frustrating because I know it is probably a tiny little setting I am missing... But... Aaaargggh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On adobe cc desktop after you select language that support arabic, return to cc desktop Apps tab and select indesign to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh... This was totale black-out form frustration... Never EVER been this happy to see a particular panel in Indesign... Thank you all so much for you time. And patience... Tons of patience. I am not worthy...

Big hug!

Schermafbeelding 2016-07-21 om 18.18.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use id cc17, and this option is not appear to me...
Can you help me please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my posts above? There lays the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi,

I'm hoping you'll be able to help me as you seem to be the expert on this. I need RTL support for ME languages. I've read your original post from May 2014 as well as your additional post(s) from May 2016 and I'm still lost. You mentioned in your original post "language specific plug-ins" do these automatically load when you choose a ME language version (such as English with Arabic Support or English with Hebrew Support)? If they do not automatically load with that language version, which plug-in do you choose to get this to work as I need RTL language support?

I've started with the English with Hebrew Support version, I've chosen that and opened it, but I'm not seeing the icons to change the direction of the text from Western Left to Right to Mid. Eastern Right to Left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and Kudos to Willi. Works like a charm.

For those still doubting and not being able to work it out, I use ID CC 2018 (USA Localised) and I followed Willi's steps as follows as I need Arabic Language support.

1. Open the Creative Cloud App from your Status Bar or your Application folder.

2. Go to "Preferences", click on the Creative Cloud Tab and change App Language to your desired version. In my case English with Arabic support.

3. Exit Preferences, but stay within the Creative Cloud App.

4. Go to Apps. Here you see that although you have installed InDesign the panel asks you to install again. You do NOT have to uninstall you current InDesign version.

5. Click the install button next to InDesign. The installer will ONLY install the additional plugins and Language Support. Thats it.

6. Restart InDesign, and you will see the above mentioned change in Panels.

Warning though. Back up your customised settings, Workspace etc. The Intsaller will overwrite some of them and unless you ahve backed up, you might be required to reset certain settings (I had to).

Hope this helps anybody still struggling with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this for English with Hebrew support and it worked perfectly. (Though I too had to recreate my workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines