• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Create a Drop-Down Selection Box for Weekly Sports Fixtures in InDesign

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i dont think its possible but i wanted to ask, i do weekly graphics that include football/soccer fixtures and have to type the names out every week which takes a while as i cover quite a lot of leagues. i konw you can do drop down menu for use on a interactive pdf but is there anyway that a drop down box works within Indesign?

<Title renamed by MOD>

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @johni71584320,

Thanks for reaching out! I completely understand how time-consuming it can be to manually input football fixtures each week. While InDesign doesn't have a built-in drop-down feature for use directly within your working file, there is a workaround using Data Merge. You can create a CSV file with your list of teams and fixtures, and then merge this data into your document, which could save you time and effort.

You can follow these steps:

1. Create a spreadsheet with your fixture information (e.g., team names, dates) and save it as a CSV file.
  2. In InDesign, go to Window > Utilities > Data Merge.
  3. Select your CSV file and map it to text placeholders in your design.

Could you also let me know the version of InDesign you're using and the details of your operating system? 

Let me know if you need more guidance.

Thanks, 
Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Abhishek,

indesign version - 19.5.0.84

operating software - Microsoft Windows 11 pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johni71584320

Do you need just the names - or after selecting a name you want some extra information to be added as well - extra text or objects?

Or you can use Library to store your "templates". 

Or dedicated INDD file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert at ID-Tasker No not really i just have a file for each league match and am curious to know if there is a quicker way of doing it than having to copy/paste each team into each text box every week

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe variables? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming your list changes from week-to-week, otherwise you could just copy/paste the field in from the previous PDF form to the new PDF form. 

I think it would be easier to process the field in Acrobat. Create or modify the rest of the form as needed,, then update the list in Acrobat. 

Here is a video to push a copied list into a dropdown menu in Acrobat.

https://youtu.be/1GZr0THeiNw?si=cAgSvBA04e1_3o3z

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave Creamer of IDEAS

It's not about forms in Interactive PDFs.

OP wants a functionality that will quickly insert old/repetitive texts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh-- the way I read it was the OP wanted an option in ID but for a PDF. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave Creamer of IDEAS no problem Dave im not sure there is a simple solution for my issue unfortunatley. thanks for everyones replies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im not sure there is a simple solution for my issue unfortunatley. 

By @johni71584320

There is - but not free - I've sent you message on priv.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the fixtures are just the team names as their own text box, then you could select the box and run a script that gets a dropdown or listbox of the teams and populate the box with the selection. So in short, yes it's possible. Do you have basic familiarity with ID scripts? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines