• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to find/replace registered trademark and make it a superscript

Enthusiast ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I must not be using the correct search terms, but I can't figure out how to do this. I'm sure I have to be in the GREP section of the find/replace window. But beyond that... I can't figure this out. I have a file with a bunch of registered trademark symbols. I want to make all those symbols superscript. How can I do this using the find/replace function? Thanks so much!

Julie

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Ha! OK, I figured it out. 

On the Text Find/Replace window:

Find: ®

Replace: ®

BUT then below that, specify attributes to change: Basic Character Formats: Position: Superscript

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple. Doesn't require GREP. It's a characgter under the Type menu. They are already superscripted:

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 11.21.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! But how do I find and replace the existing ones that are not created as special characters. They are the same size as the text itself at the moment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to use the ones you have apply the superscript button on the Control panel to your "TM" to apply it.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 11.32.50 AM.png

You can set how large the superscript is and its position using this setting in Preferences > Advanced Type:

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 11.33.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thank you! So it sounds like there's no way to do a find/replace to change them all at once. But I do appreciate the information on how to fix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this in the regular Find/Change:

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 11.43.36 AM.png

The TM (superscripted) can be selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or this if you want a registered trademark in Find/Change:

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 11.47.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 12.31.38 PM.png

Doesn't have to be GREP; you can do it easily enough in TEXT.

In TEXT, the registered symbol is ^r, (in GREP it's ~r)...or you can just copy and paste one from your copy into the search/replace fields, or as Steve indicated, select it from the pull-down menu. Just search and replace that charcter but tell it to change it to Superscript.

Some fonts will do a full size ® while other fonts will already define it as a Superscript glyph. so when you do this s/r. make sure it's not applying it to a font like that, otherwise you may end up with a too-tiny ®

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of your suggestions above, using both text and grep... and they are not making the existing registered trademark symbols superscripted. Weird. I'm using Arial as the font, so I'm sure it has this capability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! OK, I figured it out. 

On the Text Find/Replace window:

Find: ®

Replace: ®

BUT then below that, specify attributes to change: Basic Character Formats: Position: Superscript

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can do it on my Macintosh with Arial Regular:

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 12.17.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines