• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get rid of dozens of irrelevant fonts in the font menu?

Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new-ish to CC, and I noticed that I now have dozens of irrelevant fonts in my menu bar. Fonts I will never ever use. They only clutter up the menu.

In my work I use only 3-4 type families, and have no need for all these other fonts that seem to have been installed on my system since upgrading from CS3 to CC, and from OSX to Monterey.

Is there any way to get rid of all these fonts I will never use, so that my font menu will only show the ones that I need?

Thank you for any help. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022
  1. Uninstall all fonts you do not need and the OS does not need.
  2. Make in InDesign Favorits and klick on the star to show only favorit fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

I think working with the Favorites filter as per @Willi Adelberger may be the easiest. 

~Barb

2022-10-22_09-02-17 (2).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way that I can think of would be uninstall the local fonts and for Adobe Fonts you can deactivate them. See the following article for Adobe Fonts.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/fonts/using/managing-fonts.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about uninstalling the fonts? If the fonts are from https://fonts.adobe.com, use that site to uninstall all unused fonts. As for other fonts coming with older application and being installed on your system, you will need to use the system provided tools to uninstall those. You have to be careful not to uninstall the system required fonts, however. 

I define my paragraph and character styles and rhen I rarely need to go back to the fonts menu. So that too, may be an ekegant manner to simply ignore those fonts.

BTW: Keeping the font list small will improve the system performance.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

Tbh I have no idea why they all came from. They seem to have appeared since I upgraded to CC from CS3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and from upgrading from OSX to Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 339 fonts in Computer. I don't know these fonts and will never use them in my work. But when I try to turn one of them off, I get this message (attached).
Maybe best not to turn them off, otherwise it might cause havoc with my iMac!?

Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 12.50.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that Creative Cloud applications add fonts, as you can access the fonts via the fonts web site, there is no need to install fonts during the install process. CS3 came with a bunch of fonts.

Some of the fonts on your screenshot are system fonts, so they are needed for the OS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System font management in macOS is a bit of a pain. And there are too many. This guy gets it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that if I select "First Word Only" next to the magnifying glass in the font menu window, then it only brings up the fonts I need: the 5 typefaces that I only use in my work.

Solved! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Uninstall all fonts you do not need and the OS does not need.
  2. Make in InDesign Favorits and klick on the star to show only favorit fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. But the real question is how to know which out of 339 fonts MacOS does not need. Deleting such fonts can cause chaos on the iMac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should ask that in an Apple forum. The beauty of the Adobe system is, that you keep control on the fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't delete fonts, create a separate folder on the same leve als the font folder with the name "Fonts deactive" and move them there. So you can move them back if you need them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think working with the Favorites filter as per @Willi Adelberger may be the easiest. 

~Barb

2022-10-22_09-02-17 (2).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marking all the non-NOTO fonts as Favorites would not only be a serious chore, but then I can't use the Favorites feature to narrow in on fonts to choose from on a particular project, etc -- the way one is supposed to be able to use a Favorites feature... Why is this so ridiculously cumbersome? Just a file we could put never-used default faunts into and not show them - it wouldn't have to impact the system at all, just an adjustment to our display interface.  Does anyone know why Aobde won't do this simple yet INCREDIBLY CONVENIENT thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd have to agree with this. We edit documents coming from many customers and projects, and the "favorites" vary nearly every time we open a document to make changes. What I'd really like to do is tuck away those we never use--put them out of immediate sight in the Character and Find Font palettes, if not out of system.  Examples are all the Notos, STYX, and asian fonts. The long list seems especially cumbersome in Find Font, as the order in which substitutes are presented is often mysterious to me and I tend to initially slide past the font I'm looking for.

I'm guessing what seems simple to our eyes may be more difficult on the Adobe programming side, but I'll still echo this request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes yes and YES.  Crazy how backwards things have gotten since the simple old days of Now Utilities Fonts and You Control Fonts. Why Adobe can't fix this, who knows. Apple is part of the reason with all the sandboxing. So I guess it's up to Adobe to Sandbox within their apps and make life WAY more enjoyable.  Newer designers just haven't seen how great it used to be for Font menus. Sometimes the reason great ideas don't get upvoted is people never had it that good. Now Utilities was bang on.  You could moved fonts on the menu where every you wanted and you could even colour code them. I had my serif fonts together and coloured blue - san-serif: red - Script green etc.  Nice easy list. The font menu was also in the menu bar and it was REALLY quick to slide your mouse down as far on the screen to where you 'habitiually" learned where that font was.  Zip done. The font menu in Indesign in the tool bar is in a great spot. No need to move it back to the menu bar.  The favourites idea works better than nothing but it's still not great. The small arrow button is a bit harder to hit but the main thing is the font you have selected is on the list when you pull up the font menu, instead if it starting at the top every time - if you know what I mean.  We really shouldn't have to have 573 fonts on a menu.  REally we should have a list that fits on the screen, perhaps. Then be able to perhaps push a short cut key to open up more fonts.  Just an idea. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I for one do NOT long for the old days. Is the current system perfect?

Most certainly no; but to think things were better in the days of 256 glyphs and separate fonts for small caps, etc, is a bit of a stretch. While I've given up on them, there are font managers that can help ease some of the pain.

As far as the features you're talking about, that was never an InDesign feature, and while it may or may not have been built into the operating system or a third-party font manager it has nothing at all to do with InDesign. The fact is we have way more features and way more flexibility today and that does come with a price.

BTW, it's not just fonts that are better; you refer to a list that fits on the screen...how big would that screen be? What would resolution of that screen be? It's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines