• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Prevent Cropped Linked PDFs from Revealing Hidden Information After Export in InDesign

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2024 Sep 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used indesign for many years and never had this issue. I link pdf drawings / scans of images into my indesign document and crop to the information I want. Sometimes the information cropped out could be sensitive information we do not want to share.

Exporting the document appeared fine on my machine but when sent to an external party it appeared with the pdf images uncropped and showing additional information all over the pages. 

This only happened with the pdf links. 

Are there any settings that could have made this happen or what can I do to ensure it does not happen? As it appeared correct on my machine I had no idea that after export to pdf it retained the cropped information and just want to ensure I create flattened pages from now on.

Thanks!

<Title renmaed by MOD>

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet is to crop them in Acrobat and resave before placing them in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. But this seems very timeconsuming and inflexible for if I want to update the linked file or alter the crop - which is the main reason I use indesign to produce these documents. 

Is there no known setting in the exports to ensure the information is cropped not clipped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would think this would work, but it's very unreliable for placed PDFs. Again. If this is vital, crop them before placing.

2024-09-24_08-27-44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what @BobLevine has already said:

"Cropping" PDF can never be reliable. Unless your PDF is just a single image, when you "crop" PDF, you in essence just mask certain areas. 

Even if you crop your PDF in Acrobat, then place in InDesign, then export PDF from InDesign, you can still "uncrop" certain areas of the placed PDF in Acrobat.

If you want to eradicate sensitive info from a PDF, I think that the only reliable way is to delete it.

(Unless there are ways to do so I'm not aware of.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@elise_8534 

As others said - cropping in InDesign most likely won't work as expected.

So either crop in Acrobat - or take a look at this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/pdf-export-ohne-abgedeckte-schrift-und-objekte/m...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines