• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reference the same footnote several times (indd)

Contributor ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all

i have some note in my page, referenced in the bottom of the same page. eg:

Od quide nemquatem que(1) libusae sunto ipsunt utatemquo derchil et ma vendit(2) untibusa sae porpori tibusan dionestio test rerionem quae doluptiis autem exeria cum sanihil iducilicid etur(3) sedit lant ullaccaesto endebit, sed quia quosa corat.

(1) bla bla bla.

(2) bla bla

i need to reference to the some note (1st note for eample) more time in my page. eg:

Od quide nemquatem que(1) libusae sunto ipsunt utatemquo derchil et ma vendit(2) untibusa sae porpori tibusan dionestio test rerionem que(1) doluptiis autem exeria cum sanihil iducilicid etur(3) sedit lant ullaccaesto endebit, sed que(1) quosa corat.

the other occurence of the note must be linked. in this way if the number of the 1st occurence change all is updated.
is it possible ?

thx

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Unless Michel at @FRIdNGE wants to post his script here for your use (free), @milko259349307s4y, this is also a paid solution. Cross-referencing a footnote number is not included in the core InDesign feature set. 

You might want to look at @Peter Kahrel's scripts—he is one of our Adobe Community Experts: https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnotes.html. It appears that you would use a script to run the footnotes as a numbered list—Peter, correct me if I misunderstood—and then he ha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is possible with text variables.

First define a new text variable:

• Type > Text Variables > Define... :
  • New
  • Type: Custom Text

RvdT_3-1676895888557.png

Then Insert as much as you like

• Type > Text Variables > Insert Variable > ...

RvdT_4-1676895959404.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

… A matter really trickily doable with Cross-Ref.

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @milko259349307s4y:

In FrameMaker (Adobe's other page layout application), I would cross reference the footnote number, but that's not a feature in InDesign. Here is a third-party solution: https://www.dtptools.com/help.asp?id=40.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Well!

I could prefer:

Supposing one single same keyboard shortcut (the op choose him(her)self) I call “Click”.

“Click” in a footnote (the target of the cross-ref.

After placing the cursor where to insert the cross-ref, “Click” again!

That's all!

Supposing now I remove an existing footnote or add a new one! ... That could trigger a true mess! ... Not at all: new “Click”! (with no text selection)

What happens? ... Just an update: of the footnotes numbering and, of course, of the cross-ref numbering!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if Cross Refs Pro from DTP tools has the correct settings and support for Accessible PDF... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doubt it, Frans.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted them today, and indeed they have no support for that... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless Michel at @FRIdNGE wants to post his script here for your use (free), @milko259349307s4y, this is also a paid solution. Cross-referencing a footnote number is not included in the core InDesign feature set. 

You might want to look at @Peter Kahrel's scripts—he is one of our Adobe Community Experts: https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnotes.html. It appears that you would use a script to run the footnotes as a numbered list—Peter, correct me if I misunderstood—and then he has a a script to cross-refrence the paragraph numbers. These are donation-ware scripts: consider a donation if they solve a need for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FRIdNGE and sharing something for free? Not in a million years... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frans, the video is for free!

https://youtu.be/MigZMU4BzV4

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder -- The script you mentioned is for creating return links from endnotemarker to endnote for in interactive PDFs and Epubs. The script was for InDesign versions before 2018. From ID 2018 InDesign creates those links itself.

What the OP wants is different: more than one footnote reference to the same footnote. I don't think it can be done with text variables. It requires some scripting, and I'm not aware of scripted solutions -- apart from what Michel Alliol showed in his video, which is indeed a free video, but what good is that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

This video just shows a logical way to simply do what the op tries to get. It's the same question several clients asked me in the past and I solved by this paid (low price) script!

Best,

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification, @Peter Kahrel.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Peter Kahrel, this is one of InDesign's shortcomings with footnotes. It's common in commercial industries such as insurance and finance to reference the same footnote text several times within a document, even amoung different pages.

And, of course, this must maintain the interactivity and accessibility, too.

@milko259349307s4y, our shop's solution is to use InDesign's footnote utility to insert, create, and format the first reference to the footnote.  Successive references to the same footnote are done manually, including making a manual hyperlink from the new superscript Reference to the Footnote text.

And if you're making accessible PDFs, plan to spend time remediating the PDF to get all of the references and footnotes tagged correctly and in a correct reading order.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines