• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need a patch to update the base version of InDesign 22 to the most recent version (M1 chip Mac)

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chat support was only able to give me the base 17.0 version, and there is no way to update it through the Creative Cloud app. This was their response: "I apologize but I can help you with the base versions of 17.0, 18.0, and 19.0 as we have only these links, if you need the specific 17.4.2, then you can post the query in the Adobe Community Forum: you can ask for the patch file of 17.4.2 version and you will get the help as it is handled by the Adobe Developers. You will need to install the 17.0 version which is the base version and then you will need to install the patch files and it will automatically sync, it's a community forum and it may take 1-2 days, you will need to post your query:
The link to reach out Community forum is: https://community.adobe.com." 

Can someone please help me ASAP? We are using a third-party plugin from HP that does our imposition for press, and it only works on InDesign 2022, and it needs to be the most up-to-date version.

TOPICS
Activation billing and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most up-to-date version of InDesign 2024 is version 19.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I explained, we are using a third-party plugin from HP that does our imposition for press, and it only works on InDesign 2022. So I need a patch for the most up-to-date version of InDesign 2022 (v17.4.2). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me your beef is with HP. Have you contacted them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and they told me that we need to get the latest version of 2022 from Adobe. The Adobe chat support agent literally told: "You can post the query in the Adobe Community Forum: you can ask for the patch file of 17.4.2 version and you will get the help as it is handled by the Adobe Developers. You will need to install the 17.0 version which is the base version and then you will need to install the patch files and it will automatically sync, it's a community forum and it may take 1-2 days."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @BobLevine 

Adobe only posts the last two versions, InDesign 2023 and InDesign 2024, currently.

You need to get HP to update their plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe chat support agent literally told: "You can post the query in the Adobe Community Forum: you can ask for the patch file of 17.4.2 version and you will get the help as it is handled by the Adobe Developers. You will need to install the 17.0 version which is the base version and then you will need to install the patch files and it will automatically sync, it's a community forum and it may take 1-2 days."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sam Schauer :

Adobe employees sometimes do reply here but I don't remember them ever offering a "patch" for an older dot-release (which doesn't mean it never happened). You can try to wait "1-2 days" as Adobe agent suggested. If you ask me, HP should find a way to handle all this if they know their plug-in won't support any older InDesign version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why Adobe would only make 17.0 available and not 17.4.2? Makes absolutely no sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why a company like HP wouldn't support and update its plugins. You still haven't told us if there is a 2024 compatible plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we would need to pay for a new license which costs thousands of dollars. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam:

This is crazy. Here are my two (unsubstantiated, random) thoughts:

1. Can you initiate a new chat and ask again? You will get someone else, and maybe that person has a solution? Or request a supervisor if they say no? I can't imagine why they think we can help—we are users like you and not "the Adobe Developers". In the past we would download and then install an update (and had the option to save the installers) but now it's done through the CC Desktop app so we can't save them, even if we wanted to.
  2. What happens if you choose Help > Updates from within InDesign? On current versions it opens the CC Desktop app but since you didn't use the app to install 17, what happens when you try? 

Finally, I see this paragraph on our colleague's website (emphasis mine):

Here is another great option. Adobe has a separate offer for you to get a free Creative Cloud for Teams trial for 14 days. Anybody can sign up for this, even just a single person. Teams plan users have access to the Admin Console for creating your own custom Managed packages to download the latest 2022 offline installers and/or previous versions – with updates included – for use wherever you want, on any computer.

https://prodesigntools.com/creative-cloud-2022-direct-download-links.html

Maybe that's worth a try? If something any of us says works for you, would you mind coming back to let us know? This will help others down the road with the same issue.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted this but was not successful. Perhaps this warning is why, but I'm not entirely sure: "Caution: Creative Cloud Packager is no longer in development and no updates will be provided. Also, Creative Cloud Packager cannot be used to create packages that include Creative Cloud 2019 apps or later." . I could only figure out how to download the most recent version of InDesign here, not previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only way you are going to get what you want is for someone with an updated (17.4.2) installation will make a copy of the program folder for you. I seem to have failed to update from 17.4.1 myself, so I'm unable to help, but you should let us know if this is for PC or Mac and maybe someone else has it.

As an aside, this is why you should never allow adobe installers to delete old versions, and you should keep a backup of any installed version in working condition. I've several times successfully installed updated older versions on new PCs by first running the base installer (to set up the registry), then overwriting the program folder with my backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please elaborate on how one would go about doing that? We are on Macs with M-chips (non-intel). I do have 17.4.2 on my Mac, the issue we are running into is setting everything up on my colleague's new device. So how would I go about moving my copy of 17.4.2 over to her device once she has 17.0 installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, back up the system in case something goes wrong. If you can, you might want to try doing this on a virtual machine first...

Then, copy the version 17 program folder from your computer and paste it over the folder on her computer created by the installer. I'm a PC user, so I can't swear it is goint to work, but if both machines have the same type of processor I would expect it to.

There are a lot of pretty savvy Mac people here and I hope they will chime in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Sam Schauer 

Mac is Linux - so if you copy all folders associated with Adobe - it should work.

And as mentioned by @Peter Spier - same CPU - but I not sure if same OS is also required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines