• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image rotating slightly when PDF opened on a laptop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My boss has an issue that when he is opening PDFs made from Adobe inDesign some of the images rotate.  (See image attached.) Has anyone had this happen and any settings I can use at my end or his? 

I've never had this happen so at a loss as to what to suggest. He wonders if it is to do with pages viewed as a dps, but cant see why. I output as single pages viewd as 'two-up' in Acrobat.

I am running latest Adobe CC on an up-to-date iMac. 

He is opening using Adobe Acrobat PRO on a Windows laptop.

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Uncheck Recognize Text, if you're not planning to do OCR. What is happening: Acrobat is trying to auto-straighten the images so OCR works better (even though that's not at all what you want to do)

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 8.36.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

"Would Acrobat also try to unrotate the image because of OCR?"

No, it bases its "guess" on what it "sees" as opposed to whether the object itself is rotated.

That being said, say you have a layout that had two crooked items, each in different directions. It might actually apply the straightening to one correctly, but then try to apply the same rotation to the other, even though it's not appropriate. Since there are no options to be selective, it's all kinda willy-nilly.

Try apply Edit PDF to the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

This worked in a file today. Thank you Brad @ Roaring Mouse 

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 14.52.08.jpg

  

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 14.51.56.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MartianGirlDesign,

how about you?

Can you see the rotated image when you opened the PDF with Acrobat Pro DC?

Can you show a screenshot of the InDesign page with the image selected inside its graphic frame plus the Transformation panel? Frame edges showing as well.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I have never experienced this issue /seen it when I open the file. 

I've attached a screenshot in frame and one of the frame. Oddly the frame isnt showing 100%.

Its one image across a DPS and exported as single pages displayed two-up.image frame.jpgimage in frame.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just reposting the issue image.

images rotated in acrobat.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MartianGirlDesign,

thank you for posting the screenshots.

Hm. No idea what's going on. I'm a bit speechless…

How did you export the page to PDF?

Can you show the settings for that?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just smallest size and modified in the 'view' panel. 

I'm totally stumped and as its not a consistent error I struggle to see what is causing it. 

The only thing I can hypothesize is a glitch when acrobat converts the one image across a DPS into tow seperate pages.

Possibly it'd be safer to make two seperate image frames?

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 10.48.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. I'd like to see the settings in the Compression tab at PDF output.

Maybe it will help if "Crop images" is disabled.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do use the "Crop images" feature as its a 68page doc, image heavy and needs to be as small as possible. Not ideal. It's basically a brochure designed for print now being used as a digital brochure. 

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 11.36.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MartianGirlDesign,

Ideal or not ieal, I'd test turning off "Crop Image Data to Frames".

If you check the result check especially if the image data is rotated and has moved.

Perhaps we see a very special bug with PDF Export (Print) here…

What you could also test:

Instead of TIFF save the image to JPEG with PhotoShop and place the JPEG image.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am hoping that your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please feel free to update this thread else let us know if any of the suggestions shared above helped you or not.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem and cannot fix it. One image, used in several locations rotates slightly when I open "edit PDF" in Adobe Acrobat. Were you able to find a solution?

Thank you!

Neila 

at. rotatedimageinacrobateditpdf.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck Recognize Text, if you're not planning to do OCR. What is happening: Acrobat is trying to auto-straighten the images so OCR works better (even though that's not at all what you want to do)

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 8.36.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, yes I never solved the issue, but will try this out in the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the idea. I did uncheck OCR but it did not solve the problem. However, I tried another tactic that did solve the problem.

First, the problem arose when I inserted two pages from one PDF into a second PDF. Then I edited the page numbers in the second PDF. That is when the image skewed.

The two pages both had bleeding images. So I separated each page into its own file and exported each page as two separate PDFs. Then imported the two single pages into the final PDF and placed them next to each other. The two bleeding pages were no longer "fighting" each other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked in a file today. Thank you Brad @ Roaring Mouse 

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 14.52.08.jpg

  

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 14.51.56.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad:

Just to confirm, which trick fixed your image?

A) Uncheck OCR

B) Separate competing bleeding images?

Thanks! Neila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B. Separation of competing bleeds. I had the document set up with "facing pages", as I recall. It's been a long time. I think if you have single pages, it should solve your problem. Neila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad said:

"Uncheck Recognize Text, if you're not planning to do OCR. What is happening: Acrobat is trying to auto-straighten the images so OCR works better (even though that's not at all what you want to do)"

Wow.

Thanks for that observation, Brad!

Nothing against what Acrobat has to do to get good OCR, but it should do this just in memory. Not on the document itself. Imagine you slightly rotated an image of a scanned text by purpose in your layout to compensate for not putting the sheet 100% straightened to the scanner. Would Acrobat also try to unrotate the image because of OCR?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Would Acrobat also try to unrotate the image because of OCR?"

No, it bases its "guess" on what it "sees" as opposed to whether the object itself is rotated.

That being said, say you have a layout that had two crooked items, each in different directions. It might actually apply the straightening to one correctly, but then try to apply the same rotation to the other, even though it's not appropriate. Since there are no options to be selective, it's all kinda willy-nilly.

Try apply Edit PDF to the attached PDF. This is just a single page of two images, one rotated left, the other right. Watch what Acrobat does!

Needless to say, if you DON'T need OCR, just permanently uncheck the Recognize Text. It will be default when first used, but should stick unchecked for the future, but I find I need to reset it every now and again.

Obviously, standalone OCR apps are much more sophisticated, and I tend to use one of those when I need better recognition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally outside, but why is the boss using a 2020 version of Acrobat DC?

Just to rule out unknowns, could boss click on Acrobat DC > Help > Check for updates and update to the current 2022 version?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look when I first posted about this issue! 

I dont know why, but it's taken until now for this to be solved. For me the unchecking the recognize text box worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, I see your point. What I didn't read was your acknowledgment that the OCR peculiarity thing fixed your problem.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who may have trouble finding that checkbox, for me it was located under the "Edit menu" then clicking on the sprocket. 

Click EDIT menu FLAT.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed; the new layout of Acrobat has moved it to that location. Thanks for adding that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines