• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import PowerPoint document to InDesign?

Contributor ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a book created in PowerPoint (eek!). I know I can make PDFs of all the PPT pages and then place them page by page (126 pages) into a blank InDesign document, but is there any way to export/import the whole PPT doc into InD?

HOLD THE PRESSES! I found https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/place-a-multipage-pdf-in-indesign/td-p/11343293 and it worked perfectly!!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The endless value of PDF. It can even rescue projects from... from... that app. *shudder*

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theee is a way to open PPTX in Word if the structure is observed. You can then import the docx into InDesign. But if the work is not done clean, you are out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danke schön, Willi. I was able to import using the native script PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx, and it worked just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd make a PDF of it from Powerpoint and then take that PDF and open it with the markzware omnimarkz plug-in, available from Markzware's website. This can convert a PDF to a variety of layout software formats, including IDML.

The multipage placer is great if you are treating the PDF as images, but Markzware's converter will allow the text to be selectable etc.

Full disclosure - I don't receive any kickbacks from referrals - just a fan of the software.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susan,

placing a multi-page PDF automatically to InDesign pages, one PDF page to one inDesign page one after another, can be done easily with the ID MultiPageImporter script originally developed by Scott Zanelli and now curated by Mike Edel:

https://github.com/mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter/releases

Here a screenshot with various options you have:

MultiPageImporter-2.6.4-MainDialog-2.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Uwe. Ultimately I made PDFs of the book and imported it into InDesign using Srishti Bali's suggestion of the native script PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx, and it worked just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used the trial for DesksMovein which works great if you need editable type and images in InDesign. But the $299 fee is only good for 12 months for the full version, at which point you need to renew the subscription every year. Way too expensive for my budget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I have something to add here. So, I recently had a job to do for a company and they had PowerPoint, Google Slide and even Keynote files that they needed to transfer to InDesign. They splurged for the tool. 1600 slide decks in no time were converted to InDesign. With probably a 95% success and no retouch. A little tweak on some unsupported graphics was required but its a life saver. US$299 for 1600 slide decks emanating from Keynote and Google Slides also is a no brainer. We used Keynote and Google Slides and exported/saved the files as PowerPoint. Maybe this toos it can be used to solve some other migration like from Canva? Better than the PDF route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there is a simple, clean, one-step method to get this document into ID (for something like advanced print management, I would assume), I'm not sure any further mucking around with the content is worthwhile. I see two useful paths:

First, a need to get a 'book' done in just about the least appropriate software into a professional print/export management workflow. Done with the PDF import.

Second, a need to turn this 'book' into something that can be edited, updated, managed and maintained in ID. Of the options, all of the wonky three-stage conversion and import and script access is probably more work, to a more frustrating and second-rate end, than just rebuilding the book in ID using the original elements.

Just never been a fan of "convert at any cost" — because other than that simple first case, the cost is often exorbitant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know!! But the author made the book in PPT, so mine is not to reason why! That wasn't the only challenge with the book, but I'm a humble servant of my client, and sometimes our job is to do what other publishers' services outfits don't do. I made PDFs of the book and imported it into InDesign using Srishti Bali's suggestion of the native script PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx, and it worked just fine. I can massage it in PPT if necessary and then just import revised PDFs of those pages.

Thank you as always for your wisdom and wit 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there's that. It can be difficult to convince such authors that a poorly executed book should only be taken so far (as you're doing), but for future work, the effort to bring it up to a professional level first is well worthwhile. (It all looks the same on the page, right?)

And sometimes they listen. I just now closed out 2022 accounting and reporting on a project that came to me one step short of a random dump truck full of Word pages, and the author was instantly cooperative and appreciative of the effort to rebuild it all (500 pages, 300 illustrations, all kinds of special charts etc.) for a commercial-grade publication. It's my Publisher's Exhibit No. 1 when trying to convince newcomers who, f'rex, have a book "all ready to go in Google Doc."

But then, I am also in a position to decline projects, so... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow! That sounds worse than the worst I've had to deal with. It sounds
like you're your own boss. Good for you!

Happy New Year!
Susan
Production Coordinator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Susan, please delete personal contact information on this public forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sorry, I didn't think this was going to show up on the forum, I sent is as an email. My bad!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to resurrect this topic, because I had this same problem now, and for me what resolved it was saving the .ppt to pdf and then using Acrobat itself I converted the pdf to .docx. because importing the PDF into indesign does not solve the problem as it is impossible to edit the texts and images within indesign. With the converted file I can edit all the elements, even though it requires a lot of work, the client's file has 142 pages, but it already solves half the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting workaround. How much does it preserve anything but text content, though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dgiuseppe 

Can you share a sample of your PPT file - can be on priv of course.

I've done INDD->PPT - doing it the other way around shouldn't be a problem - but I would prefer to test it on a "real" document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How did you import the word document so they come into indesign correctly and editable?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines