Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported images distorted/pixelated

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am importing images (PSD and JPG) that are crystal clear in photoshop, but when I import them to InDesign, they appear and print pixelated and don't have the same clarity as in photoshop.  Can anyone give me advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Make sure you've turned on View > Display Performance > High Quality Display.

Open in the Info panel. Select each image and check its Effective (scaled) Resolution. Images which are enlarged will have a lower resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you've turned on View > Display Performance > High Quality Display.

Open in the Info panel. Select each image and check its Effective (scaled) Resolution. Images which are enlarged will have a lower resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

display is at highest quality, the effective ppi says 432, actual 72.  I'm shrinking these photos, which were originally RAW but converted.  The image resolution in Photoshop says 240 pixels/in.  I am changing to CMKY from RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that relying on scaling in InDesign can occasionally be wonky when you apply a great deal of scaling (as you have) to a raster image. Do the scaling in Photoshop to get it to the size/resolution you need, and place that next to the image you've scaled in ID to see if it's any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When printing the resolution could be downsampled if you have chosen File > Print > Graphics > Send Date: Optimized Subsampling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve! That was a quick fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right click with your mouse & then check 'high quality display'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help with original question bc I'm having this display problem. I import and it is fine. Then I import another image and the image display will suddenly change. See image attached. What is the problem. I'm using the latest indesign through adobe cloud. Any ideas or suggestions as to why this would be happening? Thanks-Heather
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 6.35.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I import an image and it looks fine and when I go back to it at some point, it appears distorted pretty much the same as your examples. I too am using the new InDesign CC. Anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also experiencing the same issue as above - images sometimes randomly distort and get 'squished'. Export is fine though. Seemed to fix when right clicking the image and selecting High Quality Display.

Also you might find that if you go to view>display performance you might have 'Allow Object-Level Display Settings' ticked. This would

presumably override the global display settings making some images appear more pixelated than Guybrush Threepwood's todger.

For good measure I selected Clear Object-Level Display settings.

These are useful settings if you are working on a large document or a particularly huge image is slowing you down because you would be able to set that single image to low quality whilst keeping the rest high quality. However, there seems to be a bit of a bug (?) in CC where these settings are automatically switching and causing confusion. And really, I've seen low res images in my time but these look like 8-bit toilet scrapings.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 11.32.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"images sometimes randomly distort and get 'squished'."

There is a bug in the current version of the GPU (only available on Macs with Retina Display and meet the requirements). Choose View > Preview on CPU when this happens. It's a known issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, same problem here. I want to import an image - that was pixellated, but the advice above worked. However, I then wanted to rotate the frame slightly to have lots of overlapping frames with images at various rotations to simulate a stack of magazines. As soon as it's rotated, it goes pixellated again.

Yet another Adobe product that isn't usable 😞 I ended up using Powerpoint in the end, which does the trick just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines