Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing a gradient swatch from Illustrator to Indesign

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was told from adobe that I can't add a gradient swatch in Libraries. So does anyone know how to move the swatch between these programs?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Start as SJRiegel describes by copying a rectangle filled with the gradient from Illustrator (with the setting she describes):

Adobe Illustrator CC 2017005.png

(2) Paste into InDesign.

(3) Choose Object > Ungroup. Select with the Direct Selection tool to see the gradient (or click the Content Grabber).

InDesign CC330.png

(4) Add a new Gradient Swatch

(5) Color the text.

InDesign CC331.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you trying to do in terms of context?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use a gradient swatch that I have in Illustrator on some text in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start as SJRiegel describes by copying a rectangle filled with the gradient from Illustrator (with the setting she describes):

Adobe Illustrator CC 2017005.png

(2) Paste into InDesign.

(3) Choose Object > Ungroup. Select with the Direct Selection tool to see the gradient (or click the Content Grabber).

InDesign CC330.png

(4) Add a new Gradient Swatch

(5) Color the text.

InDesign CC331.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, adding the New Swatch shouldn't be necessary. I think it is added automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can copy and paste a gradient from Illustrator to InDesign, but you will need to Uncheck Prefer PDF When Pasting in InDesign's Clipboard Handling preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, and Illustrator doesn't allow me to copy the swatch. Can you take it step by step please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just create any object in Illustrator and apply your gradient to it.

Then copy your object and paste in Indesign. See new Gradient swatch appearing in the Swatch panel.

Just delete the object and you are done ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried and unfortunately the swatch did not appear in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this isn't the answer to the question in terms of how do i do it?

But why don't you just make the text in Illustrator then copy paste into InDesign...

Or PLACE it so if the text needs to change you just go back to illy > modify > then update the Indesign link?

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried and unfortunately the swatch did not appear in Indesign.

Are you sure? It should.

Either you didn't Uncheck Prefer PDF When Pasting in InDesign's Clipboard Handling preferences. (As SJRiegel advised) .

Or... In the swatch panel, you have only plain colors selected:

key2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More about gradients from Illustrator: never ever try to copy/paste a gradient containing registration color (cmyk 100-100-100-100) from Illustrator to InDesign (better not to use this color at all, except for print marks). Start to happen bad things like Invalid ColorSpace in your exported PDFs from InDesign (Invalid ColorSpace error in Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign too by place command). Such affected PDFs can be without problem opened in Affinity Designer/Photo, but not in any Adobe application.

Upon paste from Illustrator, InDesign match 100-100-100-100 in gradient with predefined [Registration] color and use it in new created gradient swatch (normally is not possible to use [Registration] color in InDesign’s gradient swatch definition, just 100-100-100-100, but not [Registration]). To avoid Invalid ColorSpace in PDFs, change that color in swatch dialog to any other normally allowed color.

I reported this bug to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a shame that saving the swatches as an .ase file doesn't support tints or gradients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

Re: the ASE format: My guess is that it's because of Photoshop vs. InDesign/Illustrator differences in the way gradients are handled. And I don't think Photoshop has a concept of a tint.

ASE was designed to move colors between InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I seem to be having trouble copying in the RGB mode but in CMYK it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I can confirm this still works as of November 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines