Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Include only some pages in table of contents

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm currently working on a manual in which I need some sub-table of contents. I.e. I have a main one that shows where each main section is and then for each sub-section, I need one that only shows that sub-section.

Is there any way to make an automatic table of contents only include certain pages?

It is not possible to create separate paragraph styles for the different sections for this project though I am aware that would be an easy (and maybe the only) solution.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Work with separate INDD files in an INDB Book file.

Make for each chapter INDD a toc and a separate INDD for the whole book.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work with separate INDD files in an INDB Book file.

Make for each chapter INDD a toc and a separate INDD for the whole book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, I will look at using this method from now on, it seems to work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Zebrakatten:

You can have more that one TOC in a file—you just have to save a TOC preset for each.

I'm trying to visualize your specific scenario. Do you have a main table of contents in the front of the document, and then a mini table of contents in front of each section/chapter?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb

Yes I've found out how to make more than one, the specific issue is to make all except the first one only include some pages.

Yes, I have a main TOC at the start and then mini TOCs in front of each section. 
So the main may look like ex.:
Introduction - 1
Setup - 2
Wheels - 3
Seats - 8

And a sub could be
Wheel type 1 - 3
Wheel type 2 - 4
Wheel type 3 - 6

And then I would like the "wheels" TOC not to include the headlines from "seat" or any that may appear later in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest, although not automatic method for this, given the other restrictions, is to edit the TOCs after generation. In each subsidiary TOC, generate/update, and then delete the entry lines you don't want in that section.

Not elegant, but without being able to assign different paragraph styles, the TOC function can only include or not include a style, not differentiate between the same style in different locations.

There might be another approach in applying Character Styles to the headings in each section — null styles that make no visible changes — and then using those to control display in each section. But I'm having trouble thinking that through, along the lines of using 'display: none' in HTML/CSS. I don't think a style can be set to not display, as such in ID... but it might be the start of a working approach.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions, I will look further into the character styles but I can't think of a way to use them right now either. It does seem the best/most automatic solution is to use a book like Willi Adelberger suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the "Wheels" para style you will name "Seats" and apply to the "Seats" paras, and use a specific TOC for each para style:

1/ Main TOC

2/ "Wheels" TOC

3/ "Seats" TOC

Best,

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the section names are Introduction, Setup, Wheels and Seats? And the subsections under Wheels are Wheel Type 1 Wheel Type 2 and Wheel Type 3? 

Main TOC

Introduction

Setup

Wheels

Wheel Type 1

Wheel Type 2

Wheel Type 3

Seats

Seat Type 1

Seat Type 2

Seat Type 3

At the beginning of the wheel section, just want the wheel types and not the seat types? If that is correct, then @Willi Adelberger's is also correct. Divide each of the sections into their own InDesign document. You'll be able to generate a table of contents for each individual section that will only pick up the wheels or the seats because they are in their own file. Then create a book and add all of the sections into the book and generate one table of contents for the entire book. You cannot exclude pages from the table of contents unless it's by using a different paragraph style. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is right, thank you for your answer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be sure: have you understood what I wrote in my previous post?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP indicated that using multiple Paragraph Styles (the very reliable, conventional solution) wasn't in the cards.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too often forget I'm a scripter! ...

So :

I apply specific para styles. I generate each TOC based on each specific para style.

Manually, as everyone could do!

But, after that, 1 click!

The specific para styles are replaced by the common global para style that will target “wheels” and “seats” paras.

If I need to “regenerate” all the TOCs, same Script, 1 click again!

Of course, 1 doc! Not a book!

Best,

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines