• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 19.4 Windows 11 Performance Issues: Extremely Slow Text Editing and Moving

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not sure what is going with adobe but their apps performance is going worse and worse. I have latest nvidia studio drivers, 2x rtx 2080ti, 16 core 5950x cpu, 128 GB ram, windows 11 and this is the result of all money I spent do have solid rig:

Working in indesign is so slow in 19.4, if I want to edit text, it takes ages. Or move. Whole life I am using high performance view that I never had issue with. 

Here is the video how slow it is. : https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nwz0idwcw4od9cc54gi24/Z-znam-2024-08-02-182107.mp4?rlkey=y9xk887i1cof...

Tired again of the performance. Adobe CS6 was so good so I don't get it why when someting is working, adobe mess with it. 

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 3600 is Dual and is notated. The T3600 was also on W10. The other 2 are on W11.

Yeah, the T7820 is the one affected, which is why I assumed it was a setting or incompatibility somewhere. If you're running a similar system, that really only leaves the GPU (and maybe the SSD).

My home PC uses an NVMe. My work PC has a standard SSD and a mechanical storage drive. All of my active projects work from the SSD.

I'm looking around the office for a different video card I can borrow from someone or maybe my old one if it hasn't already been recycled. I will report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every photo of the motherboard of the T3600 I can find shows only one CPU socket... Never heard of them being dual socket? T3xxx is a base model. 

For the past 10+ years - I only use Dell + Intel + NVidia - laptop, desktop + monitors. 

I have a single SATA SSD - MX500 1TB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you are absolutely correct it was a single. I hit the ground running a little too hard this morning and apparently needed my coffee more than I thought I did. Sorry about that!

I work at a family owned business who go out of their way to not buy Apple computers. Dell has always been the go to PC up here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I brought my GTX1660 from home and that didn't help. It's still doing the same thing as before, so that rules out the video card since my home system isn't seeing this issue using the same card. Home system is on W11, so that really leaves the CPU, Motherboard, or RAM as potential culprits.

I'm currently trying to track down a spare SSD to install W10 on and see if it still does this on W10 with this configuration. I will report back again once I set that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mystery continues.

I found a spare SSD late yesterday and after a bit of trouble where one of my storage drives died, I got W10 up and running. The only things installed were Windows10, Chrome, and InDesign. No issues whatsoever with the same configuration... so it's something conflicting in what I've got installed. AV Scans come back clean. I uninstalled anything extra I had on this machine (I had Java and Python installed for some projects) but nothing seems to be helping. I even uninstalled the Radeon software down to just the driver and that didn't help.

I'm backing everything up now and once it gets finished I'm going to wipe the drive and reinstall to see if it works normally with just InDesign and W11 installed and go from there.

Unfortunately it won't be until early next week when I can get back with my results but I will stop back by and hopefully have something more concrete to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kmoodysoh

That's great.

Which AntiVirus software do you have installed on W11? 

Can you EXCLUDE InDesign's folders? Installation and where you keep your documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Defender. I'm pretty sure you can exclude specific folders with it.

I'll try that while my files are copying and see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Messing with Defender didn't change anything.

However, I finally tracked down what was causing this on my system. I still don't know why because the other systems I tried this on had no problems with this. At least now I can take a different route in my designs to minimize it and I have a better idea of what's going on that I can keep researching. Definitely something with this system and Windows 11. This system on Windows 10 had none of the same issues.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create a new Letter document.
  2. Under the "Pages" tab, double click a parent page to edit
  3. Add a full page object (8.5x11) on one of the parent page's pasteboard using the Rectangle Tool or the Rectangle Frame Tool, or place a full page image.
  4. Lag begins immediately after placing (easiest to see it when zooming)

Also to note
  • Hiding the full page object in the parent page causes the lag to stop.
  • Full Page text boxes don't seem to affect performance, only the full page rectangle objects.
  • Other objects of varying sizes also do not seem to affect performance.

I would like to figure out why it acts this way on this system, but I do now believe it's my setup and is not strictly Adobe on this one for me.

Thanks everyone for taking a moment to help me track this down this far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must trolling us. What the flying heck is the housekeeping. 2 hours waiting for what? What kind of logic is that? If there something like this in mid 2024 there is obviously something wrong in whole Adobe ecosystem. Logically I install something, after installation it must be ready to use. Houskeeping? What?? After buying a new car shoould I wait a few days to housekeep?? What?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While watching the resource monitor, it pegs out half my CPU cores when I zoom in InDesign or move an object and InDesign locks up until it processes.

A Blank InDesign doesn't lag when zooming or moving around, but if I add a single layer, it begins to get just as laggy as a project with several layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working or having complex graphic, even I have experienced it. Please try the following, Turn off preflight and right click on the pasteboard > display performance > Fast display

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this. Still. If it can't handle high quality, it rises question. In other app we can work with hires smoothly so what is wrong with indesign? Again we live in 2024, we are playing with AI content generating, Musk wants to offer Neuralink implants into brain, but Adobe can't make a hell blast fast solid stable app? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this. Still. If it can't handle high quality, it rises question. In other app we can work with hires smoothly so what is wrong with indesign? 

By @Pedro369032337muj

But it's rather something wrong with your software + hardware combination. 

Even @kmoodysoh confirmed, that at home - everything is working perfectly fine for him - only his PC at work is affected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue happens with one layer added.

I also found this suggestion on another thread and it did not help. Thank you though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines