• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2017CC Freezes MacOS Sierra 10.12.4

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am encountering some rather odd behaviour from Adobe InDesign. Basically, whenever I open InDesign, the program will work pretty well for the first several minutes. It will even shut down properly when I quit. However, 95% of the time I open InDesign, my MacBook Pro will eventually freeze. This will happen pretty suddenly. I won't even get the spinning beach ball of death. My keyboard and my trackpad will simply become unresponsive, and my Apple clock will stop. The only solution is to hold down the power key to shut the computer down and restart.

For the remaining 5% of the time, my Apple session will suddenly become corrupted. Dropdown menus will suddenly turn invisible, or show portions of Adobe InDesign menus, rendering my session unusable, although I am able to get the system to restart.

I having gone through these incidents several times in the past couple of weeks, I have isolated the problem to InDesign. If I don't open the program -- even if I use Photoshop or Illustrator, I encounter no problems with my MacBook, and the system can stay up without trouble for days. Looking at Console following a failure, I sometimes see a reference to the Adobe Crash Daemon, but the console doesn't seem to explain any crash.

The crash usually takes place about fifteen minutes or so after I open InDesign, even if I subsequently close it. If I close my MacBook and go away, and then open it again, it opens up with a black screen and a mouse pointer, which shifts into the beachball of death, which itself freezes, and I have to do a hard reboot.

Any suggestions on what is going on?

I am using a MacBookPro 12,1 with 16 Gb of RAM, and MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 (Public Beta). This problem materialized before the upgrade to the latest public beta.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

James - have you tried disabling GPU performance?

I've just switched it off and, so far no glitches or hangs. It's early to say whether this is a complete 'fix' so I'll update when I know more, but for now it seems to be working

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue as well. I was experiencing the same freezing problem when working in InDesign and had turned off the GPU which seemed to work until I recently installed the new InDesign CC (2017) updates. I was hoping that these new updates would fix the issue but it seems like it has made things much worse, now the turned off GPU has no effect. Is there another work around? How can I revert back to the older (Adobe InDesign CC 2017 - 12.0.0.81 Build)

macOS Sierra 10.12.4

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Adobe InDesign CC (2017.1) - 12.1.0.56 Build

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GPU is Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today Sierra 10.12.5 has been released. The detailed Apple release notes make no mention of anything fixed in relation to this issue but fingers crossed it has been fixed... FWIW I started having this issue a few weeks ago, turned off GPU and now today it's reappeared. Thus coincidentally poking around and finding this OS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip,

I see some Intel Graphics Driver updates in 10.12.5. I am posting a link where i saw this information piece...

About the security content of macOS Sierra 10.12.5, Security Update 2017-002 El Capitan, and Securit...

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is early days (day!) but the 10.12.5 update appears to have fixed a number of video issues. I've yet to turn GPU back on, I'm waiting until I can afford any down-time, but so far so good!

There is reference to Intel Graphics Driver security updates in Apple's release notes, so perhaps there is something to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the recent update to 10.12.5 today but I'm afraid to install since after turning off the GPU, the software seems to work pretty okay with the current version. I would like to know, if any of you had updated to 10.12.5 and have no problem. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running MacOS 10.12.5 for a few days with GPU turned on, I haven't had any problems with it so far. No lockups or crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the very same problem for two months on an iMAC running Sierra 10.12.4, although my crashes start within a few minutes of opening the InDesign file. I get double images when I move an element, spiderweb looking black patterns across the screen, drop down menus from another program in the middle of the page, and other crazy stuff.  I do a project in InDesign once a month, and it takes me about a week. Last month I spent many hours with Apple taking over my. computer and they did what they could to fix my freezes. Then I discovered it was only a problem in InDesign. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the application with no change. Then I spent another three hours with Adobe taking over my computer trashing all kinds of preferences and other support files. Now that I am back on the project this month, there has been no improvement. I once again uninstalled and installed with no improvement. This has nothing to do with my file because I can work fine on my laptop running El Capitan. Also, I have been using other applications all month long without a single computer problem, so the computer works ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take the time and read this thread.

Update to macOS 10.12.5 as it seems to have solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have done that but also turned off the GPU. If that works well I'll try turning GPU back on! Wish I had run into this thread a month ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once on 10.12.5, there should be no problem with the GPU turned on.

If anyone does encounter an issue, please post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few days of no crashes, I would say that the workaround of disabling GPU Performance did the trick for me. I wonder what Apple did to cause the problem, but hope that a proper fix is on the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me as well. I've only worked on it a few hours since I disabled the GPU, but so far so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also updated to Mac OS 0.1.4 and had the same system freeze problem. After going through this thread I figured that turning off the GPU should fix it. I first removed the Default and Saved Data files. Then started up ID turn off the GPU, rest to my saved Workspace and Keyboard settings, all seems to be running good, now. I'll post again if I have further problems.

Late iMac 2015 with Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you tell me how you switch of the GPU.

Dont worry, now done it from reading above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same freezes here. It seems to occur random. Will turn off the GPU after reading all this. Hope it helps. Please fix this.

Ik work on an Imac Intel Core i7, 3,3 GHz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be testing GPU disabled mode for a late 2015 iMac running intel Iris Pro graphics 6200.  This is a superbly annoying bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My iMac freezes completely each time I work with InDesign. I need to hard reboot my computer. I uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign from the Creative Cloud and nothing works. I also tried to work with different documents. No effect. My iMac crashes and it´s NEW. Apparently, no problem with Illustrator, Photoshop or any other Adobe CC app.

Since I did the last update the problem started.

I have tried everything they have suggested but the problem persists.

This is a serious problem and I can not work. Please, I need answers to fix the problem quickly.

Raquel Costa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raquel, did you disable the GPU Performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and the problem happens again after a few minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I disabled the GPU in InDesign and computer is still crashing. I'm on a mid 2016 iMac and running 10.12.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! So far, this is working. I reverted back to the last version of InDesign (12.0.0.81).

Go to Creative Cloud App -> Apps tab -> scroll down to Additional Apps section -> click and hold install and other versions should appear to install.

Not sure if this will solve everyones problem but, again, so far, is working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Ugh. Both InDesign and Illustrator crash my system hard. I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB and last week wiped the SSD, installed a new OS Mac Sierra 10.12.4 and then installed CC apps with nothing else besides MS Office 2016. Both InDesign and Illustrator crash my Mac to the point of needing a power restart. I have disabled GPU performance but the crashes still happen. I can only work at random times (5-15 minutes) in InDesign before my whole Mac is frozen. Scrolling, font selection, opening a document, (all normal behavior) will trigger a crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second try, it worked! After a restart and disabling GPU on  InDesign I have run the app all afternoon with no crashes. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be a problem with graphic driver. Until the problem is fixed, my advice is to disable in PH, INDD and Illustrator, GPU performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines