Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 files showing as Octet files on Creative Cloud app

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working with a number of people in different offices. We are sharing files on Creative Cloud. The files are all Indesign files and we are all on CC2020. For some reason a number of files are showing as 'octet' files, even though they have the .indd extension. We've had problems with the latest file being on the cloud, even though everything is synching and I think it might be somehting to do with this. 

Has anyone come across this? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. The exact version of the InDesign and the Operating System.
  2. Could you please also try:

• Copy the file to a local folder on your computer.
  • Since the file has an extension .indd please try opening it in InDesign.
  • Save it under a different folder.
  • Synch the folder again.

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am running 15.0.1 for Indesign and Mojave 10.14.6. That's on my machine
but would have to check what the others in the group are working with. They
will all have the same Indesign though.

I have copied a file to my desktop then resaved it into the Cloud. At
first, I got the message 'Asset could not be added' but then it did add it.
The file is showing as an indd file now.

Could it be something to do with the first time the files are put on
the cloud?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use file with Creative Cloud libraries frequently and have never seen that either in InDesign 2020 or InDesign CC 2019.  Nor do I recall seeing an "Asset could not be added" message. I could be a corrupt InDesign file if it reoccurs. You might try saving it as an IDML file, open it in InDesign and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving a file on any cloud services or network services depends on many variables that may affect, that's why I recommended to synch file again. Glad to hear it has been resolved! Feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. Thanks!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem, again we constantly share files within a team of 5 and whilst the file extension shows .indd it is showing as an OCTET file, I have been using the Cloud for the last 5 years and never experienced any roblems before and am doing nothing different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it’s not an inDesign Alias—they show as OCTET on the server:

Screen Shot 32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No its not showing as an alias

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 17.29.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path in your info pane is to the user> Downloads folder, not the Creative Cloud Files folder. If you move it into your Users>garybrindle>Creative Cloud Files folder, let it sync, right-click and choose View on Website, does the web file show as OCTET?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob, not sure what you mean. Whoever is using the file tends to download it and work on it from the downloads folder, then when finished upload back to synced files for the next person to work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t need to manually upload and download. You can create a project folder inside of your Creative Cloud Files folder, and invite the collaborators to also sync to the folder—works like Dropbox sync’ing.

Any files and folders you add to the Creative Cloud Files folder automatically syncs to your cloud account’s Synced files directory.

Screen Shot 33.png

If you want to invite other CC users to share a folder and its files, right-click the folder, choose View on Website and send out invitations. When the other users accept the invitation the folder and its files will sync to their CCF folder. If any of the users make a change and save or add new files, the files will sync to the group’s computers. With a remote collaboration, you just have to setup some scheduling guidelines so no one works on a file simultaneously.

Screen Shot 34.png

Screen Shot 35.pngScreen Shot 36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team of 8 uses the cloud the same way and we have the same problem, and in addition sometimes we all have different views of each others work AND don't see INDD and AI files. Its so frustrating. Still looking for a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm certainly not an expert but I seem to have the OCTET problem come up if I've uploaded a file (say, Microsoft PowerPoint) and then make changes to it before it sync'd with the cloud - almost as if two versions are then trying to sync?! But if I rename the original file and re-upload to the cloud and wait for it to actually be uploaded before making any changes or edits, the issue resolves...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the OCET-Problem many many times with Indesign Files, with movies, with everything. The only solution I came up with, is to move the file(s) to a completely different locations which messes up my folder structure a bit. Adobe certainly needs to work on this. Are you listening @Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you manually uploading files via a web browser, or creating files in your local Creative Cloud Files folder and letting the sync happen automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create the files in my local Creatic Cloud Folder and let them sync atomatically. It sometimes warns about synching problems but not on the files I am having problems with. It's quite random those warnings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the mysterious octet file a few times a month while exporting InDesign files to pdf's. My "work around" is to save the desired file format on my desktop then drag in into the cloud unadulterated. Annoying but it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

then drag in into the cloud unadulterated. Annoying but it works.

By dragging into the cloud, do you mean you are drag and dropping into your cloud account’s web page, or your local Creative Cloud Files folder?

Any PDF you Export, or move to, the CCF folder should automatically sync to your cloud server as PDF format—there shouldn’t be any need to open a web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines