• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Application Memory Issues M1 Macbook Pro

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a Macbook Pro M1 Pro (16GB Memory) and I keep getting "Your system has run out of application memory" whilst using Adobe software. After about an hour of using InDesign and Illustrator simultaniously I get this pop-up and am forced to quit one of the programs to free up memory space. On activity monitor it shows InDesign using 70GB+ of memory with only 2 or 3 documents open after only a couple hours. I also noticed that when importing an image into an InDesign document, the application memory goes up a considerable amount. For example, importing a single 1MB image increased my InDesign application memory by 2GB. I previously had a 16GB Intel Macbook Pro and never had this issue. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the latest versions of InDesign and Illustrator? Until pretty recently none of the Creative Cloud programs were running natively on computers with the M1 chip. This caused lots of issues. Make sure that your InDesign is version 16.3 or later (CC 2022 v.17.0 is the latest) and update Illustrator to a version 25.4 or later (26.0.1 is the latest) and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using InDesign 17.0. I saw a comment saying this is fixed on the InDesign beta app but Im unable to load it. It says the InDesign (beta) has expired. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure it will help but 17.0.1 is rolling out now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing, Currently there is an issue in macOS Monterey where users are facing Memory issues (https://9to5mac.com/2021/11/15/monterey-app-memory-leak-solution-suggestion/) (https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/01/macos-monterey-memory-leak-user-reports/). I would suggest you to to be patient and wait for a new update from Apple.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple just released a macOS 12.1 update. The Apple release notes don’t mention anything about memory bug fixes, but it’s worth trying…if you install 12.1, is the memory usage improved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to everyone in this thread,

background - I have been a pro designer for 30 years - so as you can probably all understand post all things macromedia and Quark - Adobe has been the life blood of my digital creative environment (2D)

I switched as temporary measure last year to a 16GB mac mini (due to apples delay in getting the mac pros to market) previously running a 2017 MacBook pro - the current version on indeisgn 2022 just doesn't run smoothly at all - I had to revert to 2021 to be able to get any decent level of workflow.

I am also having the memory issues you have all mentioned - slow down - choking - inability to run multiple creative cloud programs at a once (which kinda defeats the point of having a suite) (lets not get started on M1 + ACROBAT!!) but yes Indesign is extremely inefficient and very unstable - costing me time/money and anxiety. 

I am up to date with OS Monterey V12.1 etc - Adobe please fix these issues - I also teach your software at two different universities and it is becoming increasingly difficult to work/teach/endorse these products 

Warmest Regards

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues Christopher is is talking about.

(My University Professor in teaching Adobe CC in Austria has the same name as you. :D)

Are there any infos from Adobe? Or a bug report place or anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CHRIS@SODA & @Mast3r Gr3y,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. I would request you to share a few more details like:

• Please confirm the exact version of InDesign & macOS installed currently on your device
  • Do you see this behavior in other apps as well, or is this happening in InDesign only?
  • Does it happen with both old or new documents?
  • Does it happen while working on a specific document?
  • A small video demonstrating the issue could be really helpful.
  • Where are your files & links are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone take up getting info to @Anshul_Saini ? Indesign is choking on me on a new macbook pro. I'm all up-to-date too. Seems like it happens pages that contain a lot of elements, ie. tiny boxes with headshots along with sponsor logos, seperate text boxes for each image, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How did you install? Migration or from CC Desktop Application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines