• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign cannot handle the request because a modal dialog or alert is active

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there are already a few threads in regards to this, however most of them are asking how can they shut Indesign when they get this message.

My problem is that I'm not able to use Indesign BECAUSE of this message and have no idea how to resolve this.

If anybody had my same problem and know how to fix it please help!

Thank you

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Have you checked that there isn't any modal dialog open that could be either on a secondary screen or behind the app ? 

Try hiding/closing other apps, reducing indesign main app size and move around. Sometimes, those little dialogs are just a bit sneaky 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked that there isn't any modal dialog open that could be either on a secondary screen or behind the app ? 

Try hiding/closing other apps, reducing indesign main app size and move around. Sometimes, those little dialogs are just a bit sneaky 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Unfortunately I think is a Adobe issue. It does the same to Photoshop too, I open the program and I have a blank screen (when usually I have all options of a new document size/ or most recent files on PS).

I wonder if it's a cache issue, although on Indesign it does say 'because a modal dialog or alert is active'. I even tried uninstall and reinstall the apps....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? I am having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! Every cloud software has the same message. Can't use any of them. Screen shot attached. Get the same thing with any Adobe 2022 program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can literally see the dialog you have to dismiss (or fill in) there in the background!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for response. This is the message in the background (attached). I either quit, or buy (which I have done) or start a free trial. When I close it InDesign quits. I can't open a any file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. I've your free trial is over after 7 days you will have to buy, or InDesign will quit. If you have already bought InDesign, then sign in first in the Creative Cloud App (Mac: menu, Windows: tray) then start InDesign 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow-up. I am with a nonprofit and actually have a one-year subscription that started in November. See attached. Going to wait til Monday when I can talk to a real person. Very sweet of you to follow up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kathy Crowe wrote:

I ... have a one-year subscription that started in November. 

The first thing to try is to sign out, then sign back in to Creative Cloud with the same Adobe ID and PW you purchased with. There are other steps to try in this help page.

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/kb/stop-creative-cloud-trial-mode-after-purchase.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I followed the instructions and it signed me up for a trial membership, which at least will get me through the weekend. Thanks so much!

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. I followed the instructions and it signed me up for a free trial. Will get me through the weekend til I can talk to an actual person. Really appreciate it.'

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Help just fixed it for me and I have the whole suite back. Great support. Very easy, helpful, patient, and knowledgeable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're you ever able to resolve this? I'm having the EXACT same problem. And it's only inDesign that's doing this to me. Ai and Ps are working fine. I've tried everything from Uninstalling and reinstalling the app, to deleting legacy preferences, to restarting my computer. Nothing works. It's now been a week that I haven't been able to use inDesign on my laptop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you contacted Adobe Customer Service directly? 

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same thing. I used activity monitor to force quit InDesign and restarted. Working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines