• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC crashes always after quit

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC crashes alway after quit. Every time I quit InDesign CC I get the error message that the program crashed. After restarting InDesign CC I have to do all the presettings again. What can I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 103 Replies 103
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the solution is to never quit.

Heh-heh, I like how you think!!

I assume you were joking, but this may actually be the workaround until Adobe squashes the bug. My first thought was "but until this is fixed, file restore won't be working!" But I just tested it and it does actually still work correctly--if I force-quit with an unsaved document open, when I relaunch Indesign, the unsaved file restores as expected.

Dave, you're a genius. Adobe... it's still unnerving. Looking forward to a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DaveSofTypefi wrote:

I think the solution is to never quit.

That's the spirit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But on a more serious note, I'm pretty sure Dave has his install fairly loaded with personalizations, so I wonder if maybe disabling some plugins or scripts as a test might be in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Peter, just a handful of preference settings, some shortcut changes and some shortcuts attached to scripts, that's it.

I do run with the interface set to light and the application frame and bar switched off.

If that's all it takes to crash this baby then this baby is one fragile little thing.

I'll stay with not-quitting (until I have to). Of course, one needs to quit to save preferences (a cockamamie scheme if ever there was one but I lost that battle in 2002).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm another member of the Dead Horse Brigade.

I wonder if the custom workspace clue might be relevant. The whole freakin' GUI was re-written and I wouldn' be surprised if old workspaces caused a hiccup in the same way that old shorcut sets caused trouble when CS5 was introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's strange to me is that the manually-migrated workspace file does show up and load successfully. If (as it seems in my case at least) the "vintage" workspace preset causes the COQ, you'd think someone at Adobe would have noticed and either fixed the problem or made sure that old workspace files simply wouldn't load or even show up in the list when manually filed in the directory.

Perhaps someone at Adobe should consider noticing now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those don't apply to me, Peter. I make my shortcuts and workspaces afresh every time.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there goes another blind alley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow! I sure opened a Pandora's Box on this today. Glad I'm not the only one. Looks like I should never quit InD CC? And ALWAYS force-quit InD CS6? And stop asking questions? It'll be interesting in seeing what Adobe's Level 2 support folks have to say. Will advise on this forum tomorrow (hopefully).

Maybe Adobe spent too much time on promoting the CC model and not enough time on beta testing its components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just filed this crash report to Adobe:

So this time I opened InDesign with the four-fingered salute to trash preferences. Then I rebuilt the preferences (chose a workspace for my panels, changed interface to light, switched off Application Frame and Bar) and immediately quit. That quit worked. I opened InDesign again and immediately quit and here I am again.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repairing permissions did no good. I'm going back to plan A: don't quit.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how I'd summarize the situration:

1. Indesign saves it's preference file when it quits

2. Anything that keeps that file from saving causes Indesign to crash on quit

3. There seem to be multiple things that can keep Indesign from saving it's preference file

So it seems to me that it'd be very hard for Adobe to "solve" the COQ problem since there is most likely more than one cause. In my case it had to do with a manually migrated workspace preset, so when I removed/rebuilt that, my COQ disappeared. Others have found the problem to be permissions related. Adobe has suggested something having to do with fonts--luckily I didn't follow their suggestion along that line since it wouldn't have fixed the problem, just wasted me a bunch of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't give up the ship (yet)... I just re-downloaded the app from the cloud; apparently it overwrote what was already in my apps folder and VOILA! No more crash messages after I quit InD CC!

Must've done something right this time OR Adobe maybe did something?

Who knows, but now it's OK.

InD CS6 tho, I still have to force-quit. 1/2 a slice's better than none..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't expect any response by Adobe. I was 'guaranteed' a 24-hour response window when I kept reporting this and am working on 48 hours now. I guess their "Level 2" tech people are on vacation? Glad I'm not fasting or I'd lose quite a bit. I've a feeling that no news is bad news... they (Adobe) don't have a clue on these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I have installed, ininstalled, trashed prefs, redone, tried everything I can see on the forums. Even started a thread of my own on this, not knowing this one existed.

I have NOT been able to fix the problem, no matter what I have tried.

But here's a hint that may help: I was beginning to experience a like situation with InDesign CS6. I can't recall whether it would give me a "quit unexpectedly" message or not, but I do recall that I was trying to save a preference (color for ruler guides) and every time I reopened it would revert to the original.

Perhaps that's a help.

Otherwise, totally frustrated here and waiting for some "deus ex machina" to descend from the heavens and give us all the answer we need to fix this.

And...15 mintes later...

Tried the trick of recreating my workspace from scratch. Did all that, changed some prefs, quit with no problem. Opened, saved a new pref, quit: crash on quit. Same ol' same ol'

Message was edited by: edhenninger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lo there…yeh, very frustrating.

I finally got ahold of a tech rep (all the way from India -- believe, me, no fun at all)… but she did give me a link to a brand-new web installer for CS6.

Before reinstalling, I used a 3rd party uninstaller to dump everything related to InD CS6 (Adobe's didn't seem to do the trick.) Voila… after dumping everything, I did a reinstall from their latest and it's been working fine now with CS6. Did the same thing with CC and it's fine again too (fingers crossed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Can you share the link to that installer with the rest of us?

And...what was the 3rd party uninstaller you used to dump everthing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like to do that, but it was a custom link (with my personal phone number embedded in it) that the CSR created specifically for me.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And...what was the 3rd party uninstaller you used to dump everthing?

Clean My Mac 2 is the utliity that I use to dump apps & all related files. Seems to work PDG so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what do the rest of us have to do to get a custom link with our phone number embedded in it?

Not being a wise guy here, just wondering what you went thru to get the fix that the rest of us haven't tried yet. If we all give that a try, maybe Adobe will respond more quickly with a bug fix for all of us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My biggest problem was that I'm an aging old fart and my hearing's not the best. Plus understanding English spoken with a very heavy Farsi accent didn't help at all.

Spoke with the lady (who had tons of patience, thank G)... for quite some time. She finally gave me instructions as follows:

tinyurl.com/0000000000

Go to lightroom download page (CC) click on trial, then type in above URL to reestablish link for my downloading options (I replaced my phone number with cyphers)

Hope this helps; clear as mud, but it worked for me.

GL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't follow. You'd have to be more specific for me as far as download instructions. Download from where? My CC link? The web?

...and after all of this, I'm not sure my phone number will work instead of yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'tiny…' url that she gave me took me to a download page that had all of my available downloads. I downloaded from that web source (NOT THE CC LINK).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. Thanks.

But it's not gonna work with my fone number.

Anyway, I appreciate your giving us a peek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No… you'd have to go through customer support; she'll probably want to 'get into your computer' remotely, then set up a custom link for you while online.

took quite awhile when I did it… so be patient

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines